This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

This week has been a very trying week for the black community, especially black women. Breonna Taylor did not get the justice that she deserved and Megan Thee Stallion was blatantly disrespected by her abuser. For me personally, the things that have transpired this week made me very agitated. I had to take a little pause from life real quick to gather my thoughts and reconvene. So here are some things you could do when you need to decompress from a stressful situation. 

Take a Break from your Social Media 

After these two incidents, social media was in an uproar. It is very hard to stay calm and collected when your whole timeline is talking about the situation. Take a break from social media for at least a half an hour and do something that makes you happy. Play a game, watch a youtube video that you love, listen to one of your favorite music artists or watch an episode of your favorite tv show. Do something that makes you happy so that you won’t be so overwhelmed about the situation that is going on. 

Go outside 

Nature has a way of helping improve my mood. Something about fresh air and falling leaves makes me happy. Go take a walk around your neighborhood or ride your bike so that you can cool off and you can burn some calories while you’re doing it. 

Treat Yourself 

We all have days where we just need a “pick me up”. It could be like a situation like the ones we have seen this week, you failed a test you studied very hard for, or you’re stressed about work . Go treat yourself to something you love. Go buy a scoop of your favorite ice cream, go get food at your favorite restaurant, take a bubble bath. Do something for yourself that you wouldn’t usually do to make yourself feel better. 

We aren’t perfect and that is okay. Sometimes we need breaks and that is okay. Don’t feel bad for needing to take some time to yourself so that you can regroup after encountering stressors and get back to your normal self.

I am a sophomore economics major from the Suburbs of Chicago with aspirations of becoming an economist. I am very passionate about advocacy and equal rights for black people, women, and the LGBTQ community and I feel as though Economics is one of the most important ways to advocate for these communities.Some of my hobbies are doing makeup, watching youtube videos, and watching netflix.
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD