Self-Care: Mind, Body and Soul

During midterms, we can get so caught up in our schoolwork, extracurriculars and jobs, that we neglect our health and wellness.  Self-care is very important because we have to find time to slow down which helps us make from burning out. If you’re in need of some T.L.C., here are a few tips for caring for your mind, body, and soul:

For Your Mind:

• Are you having negative thoughts? Talk to someone you trust. If you don’t feel like speaking to anyone, write it out in a journal.

• Use post-it notes to write down inspirational quotes and your affirmations. Make it a point to keep positivity around you.

• Take a day to meditate. By focusing on your breathing, you will become more aware of your feelings and emotions, and tune out any negative thoughts.

• Take time to get away from electronics or put everything on airplane mode to eliminate distractions.

• Don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone. You’ll experience more growth on the other side of fear.

For Your Body:

• Play some music. Dancing will get you up and full of energy (Some of my faves are Ravyn Lenae, Beyoncé and Smino)

• Go outside for a jog. It can be 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour. Getting your blood flowing will help you feel so much better.

• Naps are very helpful. A quick power nap can leave you feeling refreshed and ready to get back to your grind.

• Eat healthier foods. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet to give you more energy throughout the day.

For Your Soul:

• Look in the mirror. What do you see? Find at least three things about yourself that you like and say them out loud.

• Be selfish. If your gut says that agreeing to certain things will take from you rather than add to your life, say no and don't feel bad about it.

• Color. Adult coloring books are the easiest way to express yourself creatively and can be very therapeutic.

• Remember to do what makes you happy. Go make that song, go make that painting, go write that poem. Just do what you like and smile after you are done.

I know we all have busy lives and schedules. However, we forget to look out for yourself. So, all you have is stop, slow down, and be healthy.