This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

During midterms, we can get so caught up in our schoolwork, extracurriculars and jobs, that we neglect our health and wellness.  Self-care is very important because we have to find time to slow down which helps us make from burning out. If you’re in need of some T.L.C., here are a few tips for caring for your mind, body, and soul:

For Your Mind:

• Are you having negative thoughts? Talk to someone you trust. If you don’t feel like speaking to anyone, write it out in a journal.

• Use post-it notes to write down inspirational quotes and your affirmations. Make it a point to keep positivity around you.

• Take a day to meditate. By focusing on your breathing, you will become more aware of your feelings and emotions, and tune out any negative thoughts.

• Take time to get away from electronics or put everything on airplane mode to eliminate distractions.

• Don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone. You’ll experience more growth on the other side of fear.

For Your Body:

• Play some music. Dancing will get you up and full of energy (Some of my faves are Ravyn Lenae, Beyoncé and Smino)

• Go outside for a jog. It can be 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour. Getting your blood flowing will help you feel so much better.

• Naps are very helpful. A quick power nap can leave you feeling refreshed and ready to get back to your grind.

• Eat healthier foods. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet to give you more energy throughout the day.

For Your Soul:

• Look in the mirror. What do you see? Find at least three things about yourself that you like and say them out loud.

• Be selfish. If your gut says that agreeing to certain things will take from you rather than add to your life, say no and don’t feel bad about it.

• Color. Adult coloring books are the easiest way to express yourself creatively and can be very therapeutic.

• Remember to do what makes you happy. Go make that song, go make that painting, go write that poem. Just do what you like and smile after you are done.

I know we all have busy lives and schedules. However, we forget to look out for yourself. So, all you have is stop, slow down, and be healthy.

My name is Samaria Colbert. I am a 4th year Computer Science major and Graphic Design minor from Cincinnati, Ohio. I attend Howard University and will be writing for my school chapter. With my major, I intend to go into UX and UI design.  I want to open my own graphic design business and create more jobs for black women in my field. I want to be my own boss.