Mental Health and You: How to NOT Lose Your Sh*t While at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

College can be a lot sometimes and as a Howard University student, you get to experience the hype first-hand. Unfortunately, the highs to do come with the lows…. You’re at a stage in life where you’re constantly dealing with papers, back to back classes, insufferable amounts of pressure and financial burdens, adjusting to the change of your environment, all while managing to navigate through adulthood and trying to find yourself. Dealing with said issues can do a lot to a person not only physically but mentally. As a college student maintaining your mental health can get hard, especially if you came in struggling with it. Although dealing with your mental health can get difficult, it is not impossible. Here are some tips that will help you maintain your mental health while you’re at school

1. Acknowledge yourself

From a young age I was taught if something doesn’t look right or seem right, chances are, it ain’t right…and the same perspective can be applied to yourself and how you’re feeling. If you notice yourself showing unusual behaviors (more anxious than unusual, dramatic loss of appetite, loss of interests, loss of hope etc.) a little too frequently you shouldn’t dismiss these feelings as something that “isn’t that serious” or “is no big deal”. Contrary to what parents or other peers might say, these feelings are valid and acknowledging these feelings plays a very crucial part in uncovering the solution to your problem. Sometimes you’re just not okay, and there is nothing wrong with admitting that! Admitting is the first step, and once you are honest with yourself about your issues your solution becomes more in focus and reachable than ever.

2. Unplug

Social media is a great place to connect with friends, family and people that you share interests with and also works as another means to do business, but too much of a good thing can be bad for you. With so much exposure to literally anything and everything, it is easy to get caught up with everything that’s going on in the world. When you’re constantly seeing posts about how the world is falling apart, failing relationships or negativity period, it may take a toll on your mental health. Many people take unrealistic standards and start internalizing them to the point where they question their worth and let it affect how they see themselves. Others will internalize all the problems going on in the world and, as a result, are left in a constant state of hopelessness and despair. The weight of the world is not mine to carry, and neither is it yours, and with that being said it is necessary to disconnect from everything going on, remove those distractions, and focus on you. When you’re being bogged down by negativity taking a break from the internet and tv can help you regain your peace give you a sense of clarity. Don’t wait for your phone to die, turn it off. Go outside if you can. Be productive. Reclaim that time you wasted being consumed by your socials and refocus your energy on something more beneficial like going to bed at a decent time or finishing that book you’ve been meaning to pick up.

3. Get help/ Let it out

Keeping your issues bottled up inside never turns out well for anyone and is very counterproductive when it comes to solving your problems. The first step is admitting you’re not okay, the second step is getting help. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. You go to the doctor when you’re sick and the same approach should be taken when you notice something wrong mentally. Getting help doesn’t make you weak or incapable, if anything, it means you are wise enough to acknowledge that something’s not right and capable of doing something about it. In order to do this, you must utilize your resources. Most campuses have student health centers that provide care for students dealing with mental health issues. Here at Howard, you can visit the counseling center located in the C.B. Powell building. Students often forget that here at Howard you have health insurance through the school, so if you’re considering getting outside help you can look up different places in the D.C. area where the insurance is accepted. On campus support groups such as Bison Healing Group can be helpful as well. Your friends are also great resources when it comes to support and confiding in them can give you motivation as you deal with this so you don’t have to feel like you’re going through it alone

4. Self-Care

It can be easy to get caught up in everything going on around you, from the social scene on campus, academics, to societal issues, and if you’re not careful these things can have a significant effect on your mental health. As stated earlier, unplugging and disconnecting from the outside world is definitely necessary, but what’s even more necessary throughout this process is self-care. Self-care is more than just lighting a candle, putting on a face mask and taking a bubble bath. Self-care is giving yourself a break to avoid burnout. Self-care is constantly reassuring yourself through affirmations. Self-care is pulling back from certain activities to give yourself more time to focus on you. Self-care is taking your medicine when you need it. Self-care is removing negativity on your social media feeds. Self-care is taking the time to indulge in the things you enjoy. No matter how you do it, self-care is doing little things now that will benefit you in the long run. There is no one way to partake in self-care, nor is it a one-time thing. How do you expect to work to your best ability if you’re not in good shape physically or mentally? Machines don’t function well without routine maintenance and neither do you. You are your #1 priority. Take the time to focus on you (not just your issues) and take it seriously.

Always keep in mind that the pain caused by struggle is temporary. You can do it and you will get through it.

Lead image: Bruce Mars @ Pexels

Amara Onuigbo is currently a sophomore supply chain management major at Howard University from Atlanta, Georgia. She is a lover of music, art, fashion and an avid foodie. Her love of art and fashion caused her to launch a successful online clothing store, Custom Vintage Clothes, when she was in eighth grade and aspires to own another business on a larger scale when she graduates. When she's not stressing over schoolwork you can find her catching up on her favorite shows on Netflix. You can follow her on Instagram @venusflytrxp