I Got $5 On It: The Broke Girl’s Guide to 90s Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Many recall the 90s as a hotbed of fashion in which creativity was at an all-time high especially when it comes to the hip-hop and the black community. You often see the “looks” of the 90s being revived in today’s fashion by celebrities such as Zendaya, A$AP Rocky, Travis Scott, Zoe Kravitz, Rihanna and many more. However, many want to create these famous fashion concepts from the 90s without having to spend tons of money to do so.

Mo’ Money Mo’ Problems”

Developing a budget is the first step to revamping your 90s style. For many college students, money is hard to come by and we want to get the most out of the little money that we have. Therefore, decide how much you want to spend on your 90s closet revamp and try to stick to it.

Who am I

Decide which fashion icon from the 90’s you’re trying to embody. Are you more of a Lil Kim in the “Crush On You” video or are you going for an “Are You That Somebody” Aaliyah look?             

“O.P.P” (Other people’s property)

When it comes to 90’s fashions thrift stores are your best friend. Second-hand stores such as Goodwill and The Salvation Army are usually filled with the 80s and 90s fashions that our generation adores yet those who lived through the 90s would never touch again. Baggy pants and sweatshirts, Mom jeans, flannels, windbreakers and overalls were a staple in 90s fashion which can be found in second-hand stores.

Alexandra Lauren Banks is a sophomore Journalism major, English minor from Rochester, NY. As an aspiring journalist, Alexandra wants to use her writing as a way to encourage and uplift black women and raise awareness to issues affecting the black community. Along with her passion for writing, Alexandra is interested in singing, dancing, and fashion. In the future, she hopes to write for a magazine and eventually own her own magazine. Ultimately her goal in writing for Her Campus HU is to share her thoughts and ideas in hopes of creating a voice for young black women like her.