How to Say No to Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Trying to stay healthy while in college can be extremely hard, especially when there’s temptation around every corner in the form of cookies, cakes, brownies, and more…

It’s incredibly easy to say “screw it” to your healthy eating and dive into an abyss of unhealthy choices, but I’m here to give you tips on how to say no to those unwanted and unneeded craving:

Tip 1: Drink More Water

Thirst is often confused with hunger or food cravings. If you feel an urge for a specific food, try drinking a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. You may find that the craving fades away because your body was actually just thirsty.

Tip 2: Incorporate More Protein

I’ve recently discovered that by upping my protein intake, it’s reduced my appetite and stopped me from overeating. Protein also reduces cravings and makes you feel full longer.

Tip 3: Distance Yourself from the Craving

Sometimes, when I’m done eating my fulfilling sandwich and salad from Blackburn, I’m forced to face the dessert section as I walk out and the temptation to grab two or ten cookies arises. However, by walking quickly and grabbing an apple instead, I feel better about myself.

Tip 4: Eat Proper Meals

As a college student, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with homework, exams, internships, extracurriculars, and your social life. Food isn’t always at the top of your priorities and instead of going to the cafeteria, you grab cup noodles from the C-Store, a Pepsi, and a pack of cookies and call it a meal. Well… it’s not a meal. Please make sure you’re able to schedule in at least thirty minutes into your schedule so you can grab yourself a proper meal, so your body doesn’t hate you later.

These few tips might just help you say no to those cravings, and you’ll be thankful later!

Chisom Okoye is a sophomore Film/TV major, playwright and sociology double minor from Las Vegas, NV. Writing has always been her greatest love, because it allows her to express herself in ways that spoken words can't. The ability to pick up any pencil, broken and charred or shiny and new, and just simply create is gratifying. Her writing interests range from pieces about self love and the art of positivity to book reviews and fiction pieces to controversial topics to even screenplays. When she's not immersed in her world of writing, Chisom enjoys art museums, theatre, as well as musical theatre, and you can always find her listening to her favorite musicians, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, and Stevie Wonder.