How to Prep for the First Week of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Summer is coming to an end. College is a very big transition from high school. You are by yourself with no one to wake you up in the morning. You may be in a new state around new people. You are probably stressing before you even enter the classroom. Here are some tips on what to do before, during, and after your first week of class:

Before the First Week

• Make sure you settle issues with financial aid before you plan your classes with your advisor.
  • If you are a freshman, you can’t pick your classes. Only the advisor can do that for you. If you are an upperclassman, write down the classes you need to take for the semester and talk to your advisor as soon as possible to secure your spot.
  • Get a planner and write your classes with their times. Having a visual reminder of what your day and week will look like can alleviate some of the stress from having a lot of your plate.
  • After everything settles and you get comfortable with your schedule, make time to relax and kick back.

During the First Week

• You will receive syllabi for each class you take. Use that to write down all assignments, homework, and tests in your planner. You want to plan out your semester as early as possible before you get tied up with your assignments.
  • Get to know your professors. They have office hours. Use that to show you are dedicated to your education.
  • Get to know the people around you. They will become your friends and study buddies. Keep in mind, not everyone is nice and will be your friend on the first week.
  • Technology will be your best friend for the year. Use your laptop in class to take notes or record the lecture if your professor will allow it. Use your phone to make to-do lists, set reminders, and keep track of your calendar.
  • Before buying books, check for PDFs. They are free, not for sale.
  • Wear comfortable clothes and shoes to ensure you feel confident.

After the First Week

• Make sure you get all of your assignments done as soon as they are assigned. Other than that, relax and kick back in your room.
  • Go out with your friends or spend quality time in the dorm. Either way, making time for your friends will help you all deal with your busy lives and destress.
  • Warm up some good food and watch your favorite show or movie on Netflix.

The first week of classes will be stressful, but, it will give you time to settle in and create your routine while at it. Hopefully, these tips will help you to a successful week!

My name is Samaria Colbert. I am a 4th year Computer Science major and Graphic Design minor from Cincinnati, Ohio. I attend Howard University and will be writing for my school chapter. With my major, I intend to go into UX and UI design.  I want to open my own graphic design business and create more jobs for black women in my field. I want to be my own boss.