Culture > Digital

Do Not Allow Social Media To Determine Your Self Worth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By: Lauren Ash

Social media was once a tool that allowed people to stay in touch with friends, family, and even to connect with new people. However, it has grown into much more throughout the years. Not only are users able to keep up with the lives of those close to us, but we’re also able to showcase our talent for everyone to see whilst still connecting with people from different parts of the world. It’s truly life-changing and amazing. But with all the pros that social media provides, there are also cons. 

A famous quote says, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” In this digital age, it is easy to become absorbed in what everyone else is doing; in turn, many social media users feel inadequate. I do it, my friends do it, and I am pretty sure you do it too. It is natural to do so because of the competitive nature that we live in. Allowing social media to determine your self-worth is one of the worst things one can do. It’s important to understand that every individual is moving at their own pace on their own journey. What is meant to happen will happen when it is meant to happen! 

Now you may be saying to yourself,“This is easier said than done,” and you’re right. The key to avoiding self-comparison and negative self-talk is to begin practicing self-love. I know that this is a concept that is discussed a lot on social media and you may not know of clear ways to work on your self-love. Below, I have provided a quick and easy list that will inform you of great self-love practices. 

1. 3 Affirmations Every Morning. 
  2. Write out 5 things that you like about yourself. 
  3. Celebrate your accomplishments, big or small. 
  4. Take social media breaks. 
  5. Yoga

Never allow social media to rob you of confidence and happiness.  Comparison is truly the thief of joy and the cause of a lot of negative thoughts. But one must know that they are worthy and they are doing enough. It is important to find comfort and peace with where you are in life. Hopefully, the practices listed above can help you on your journey.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/