Apple Music’s Rap Life Live: Special Event at Howard University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Hey, Howard students! Have you watched Rap Life on Apple Music yet? If not, there’s still time. Rap Life, a leading hip-hop playlist on Apple Music, created an exclusive event that was filmed at the illustrious Howard University, one of many HBCUS (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) in the country. It featured some of your favorite rappers including Lil Baby, Nas, Rapsody, and Wale. The event was hosted by Apple Music’s global head of Hip-Hop and R&B, Ebro Darden, as well as many others.

Rap Life’s goal was to celebrate Black people, while also creating an open dialogue about issues in the Black community through the medium of music. The artists and creators of Rap Life wanted to bring awareness to the Black Lives Matter movement, and they expressed their solidarity for all of the activists, students, and leaders that share this sentiment.

Not only did the event feature celebrities and guests, we even saw some of our beloved Howard students. Some of the locations in this event may be recognizable to many of our Bison, such as Founders Library, Burr Gymnasium, Cramton Auditorium, and so much more! This event managed to bring together Black history and the present, while looking ahead to the future as activism drives us forward. All in all, the event was wonderful; plus, it is always amazing to see HBCUs being uplifted and watching Black excellence unfold. 

There are plans to bring Rap Life to other HBCU campuses, and we can’t wait to see what lies ahead! You can watch a recording of this event on Youtube or Apple Music.

Paige Wilder

Howard '23

Writing is my stress reliever. I hope you enjoy all of the articles!
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD