This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Far too often, we do not reflect on the things that are already in front of us. With the demands that our everyday lives bring, we forget to take a step back and reflect on the little things. Like other forms of romance, romancing yourself takes trial and error. It also consists of ups and downs. Romanticizing one’s life is a broad spectrum; it varies from seeing yourself as the main character in your life, similar to a movie or television series, to being more present and mindful. When doing your favorite form of self-care, whether that be reading, going on walks in the park, or taking bubble baths, remember to mentally and physically indulge the moment. Here are ten ways to start your journey: 

1. Make a list of your big and small accomplishments. Give yourself credit for the things you have accomplished. Make a list of them all and be creative. You’ll find that your life has been more impressive than you realized. 
  2. Give yourself a meaningful compliment each day. It feels great to receive compliments from others, but receiving one from yourself is even better. Think about your great qualities. There’s no reason to wait for someone else to get around to saying something nice. 
  3. Eat healthier. Take better care of yourself by creating better eating habits. Many of us have trouble in this department. Consider switching out junk food for healthier options. Prioritize yourself. 
  4. Support a cause you believe in. Think about an area near and dear to your heart and find a way to contribute to it. You’ll feel better about yourself and put a smile on your face. 
  5. Gratitude. Appreciate what you have right now. Sometimes, being grateful makes it easier to love yourself. Think about your life and find the things and people that make you feel grateful. 
  6. Forgiveness. We’ve all made mistakes and have said or done things that we regret. But that part of your life is over, and it is time to move past it. Why bring the past to the present? You can make a fresh start each day. Let it go and forgive yourself. 
  7. Make small improvements. As great as you are, think about ways that you can improve the little things. Maybe it’s calling your parents more often or exercising more times than you normally would during the week. Show yourself that you are capable of growing and becoming a better version of yourself. 

Here are some ideas: 

• Go for walks more often. 
  • Be on time to work or class each day. 
  • Meditate for at least 10 minutes a day. 
  • Pay your bills on time. 
  1. Do something that makes YOU happy. It is never too late to start enjoying your life. Create that blog you’ve always wanted to do or start those dance classes. Begin to love your life and yourself in the process. 
  2. Avoid negativity. There’s a chance that someone or something is poisoning your life. It could be a friendship, romantic relationship, or a relationship with a family member. Trust yourself enough to avoid toxicity. 
  3. Self-Love. You have many great qualities that you have been overlooking. Believe that you deserve love from yourself and others around you. Self-love will enhance every aspect of your life. 

There is nothing terrible about romanticizing your life. It is what you make it. Some might make it seem impossible because of the expensive splurges and vacations seen on social media. Still, it is truly about doing what makes you happy and loving yourself in the process. 

My name is Myracle Miller and I am a junior political science major, economics minor from Houston, Texas. I enjoy reading and occasionally doing yoga in my free time.