This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

So, we all watched Rihanna kill it at the Superbowl. One thing I noticed, though, was that the halftime show was sponsored by Apple music. I have a couple of friends who are loyal to apple music/SoundCloud, but I will always be a Spotify girl. Here’s why:

1. the student discount

Spotify’s student discount includes premium with Hulu and Showtime for only $4.99/month. Apple Music, on the other hand, is $6 a month with a student discount, and SoundCloud Go+ will cost you $4.99. I love that I have unlimited access to any song at any time and can download songs to play on the plane or without wifi.

2. easily customizable playlists

I’ve been making my own playlists on Spotify every couple of months for the past four years. Check them out at this link.

https://open.spotify.com/user/carolinesully23?si=879c7f381c05419c

I love that I have this music to look back on and remember each distinct period of my life. It’s almost like a journal.

3. shared playlists

My friends from home and I made a shared playlist for our after-prom party and have created them every year or so since. It’s so fun to follow my friends and their playlists on Spotify, but even more fun to create a playlist together. I love hearing new music and trust their tastes like no other.

4. Ability to see what others are listening to

Full disclosure, my friends think I’m creepy for this one. But I love that Spotify has a feature that shows what your friends are currently listening to (yes, you can block this in settings if you don’t want people looking). I just love discovering new music, it’s one of the things in the world that makes me happiest. I think I get it from my Grandfather (who’s the biggest Taylor Swift fan I know), but who has hundreds of CDs stacked up in his basement and throughout his house. He is always open to finding new artists (he took my little sister to a Katy Perry concert a few years back) and took me to my first concert (Taylor, of course).

5. spotify wrapped, suggestions, and podcasts

I know Spotify wrapped is so annoying the day it comes out, and the Instagram stories are unending. Still, I love having a playlist of my top songs from a certain year and knowing my top artists. I also love that Spotify suggests certain songs I would like based on my listening history and creates a “Discover Weekly” personalized playlist of new music for me every Monday (highlight of my week). Wrapped also shows your top podcasts, which I love to know. I basically always have headphones in while walking around campus or working out, and I love having different songs for different phases of life or moods.

So, Spotify is definitely a worthy investment for someone like me. It really is the little things.

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!