What I Learned During Dry Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

For those who have never had to endure the torture and *joy* of dry season it is basically when collegiate athletes and their teammates pledge to not drink alcohol for a signifiant period of time in order to get the best results for an upcoming championship season. Being a member of the swim team at Holy Cross, I am currently in a dry season in preparation for Patriots. And no, in this case, dry season does NOT mean less time in the water…

My dry season started January 23rd and ends February 22nd. I have not had a sip of alcohol or gone out… AT ALL. Not a single Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday. For me, dry season is something I have a love-hate relationship with, typically dreading it every year. The benefit of dry season is not having to care at all about what you look like on a Saturday night (because I just stay in my PJ’s and binge watched Netflix). The down side is watching all my friends (non-teammates) get to look nice and talk about how great last night was.

1) People don’t realize how loud the “after hours” are

I never realized how loud I can be sometimes coming back from a night of going out or how thin the walls are in the dorms. I hear everyone’s pregame playlists, noises in the bathroom, people organizing Uber rides, and scents of delivery pizza.

2) Going to Hogan on a Saturday night to do homework might as well be the kiss of death to your social life

During dry season, I always attempt to get ahead on my academics. The problem is finding the right place to do the work (since the dorm simply isn’t an option). It honestly quite depressing walking to Hogan with my school bag at 9pm with one of my teammates on a Saturday night watching hoards of students going off campus.

3) No alcohol, no hangover (…duh)

While some people may think it’s boring to take a month off from drinking( and yes most of the time it is!) you can rest assured that even if your neighbors down the hall had fun last night, you’re probably getting the last laugh this morning.

4) You have more calories to spend on… whatever you want aka more chocolate, ice cream, and pizza *praise*

Eat whatever your heart desires.

5) You have so MUCH free time

You have an absurd amount of free time on the weekends now that you can’t go out. Start to think of new things to do (i.e. I went to the movies a ton)

6) You wake up much earlier ( blessing and a curse)

Even though I am typically an early bird with or without alcohol, not drinking allows your body to rest properly and begin a regular sleep pattern.

7) Never have to dress up aka sweats all day everyday, baby!!!!

Getting dressed for a night out includes: my groutfit and parka.

8) Sunday scares aren’t a thing

#Blessed.

9) You have an excuse to stay in

We all have those nights when staying in just seems so much more appealing then making the trek outside and getting ready.

10) Not having to deal with -10 degree weather to go to a out

At the end of the day, giving up drinking for a month is a small sacrifice to getting the results you want at a Championship meet. My advice to fellow athletes: when your having a tough day and want to go out, remember all those 6 am lifts, the double day practices, the endless training trip, and your teammates who have pushed you to do your best. Most of us only have four years to play our sport that we love and thats it. So spend time with your teammates, give the most at practice, and when you can’t go out remember the end goal is near!!

Sophomore and History and English double major at the College of the Holy Cross