Life > Academics

Tips for Making it Through the Final Homestretch of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s easy to feel burnt out with only three weeks of classes left, especially when assignments are piling up. I already feel swamped with work, and I sometimes feel as though I can’t get through it all in time. I’ve listed some tips that I use to help me through the final homestretch of the semester, and I hope that these can help you focus and feel less burnt out! Good luck with your last couple of weeks of classes and finals!

1. Change of Scenery

Something that I struggle with is finding the perfect spot to study. While I love the common room, I typically find it difficult to focus there and engage in conversation with my friends. The common room is a great place to do light work, while locations like the library might be better suited for work that requires deeper focus. I enjoy switching up my study spaces, and even at times, getting off campus (my favorite location: Starbucks) can help me focus. 

2. Watch a Video 

Sometimes reading over your notes can be tedious, and you might lose concentration on what you’re reading. There are definitely times when I’ve been reading notes for a while and realize I’m not reading for comprehension and am just reading words. Watching a video helps me regain focus, and hearing things out loud can make information stick better and even better explain things. 

3. The Pomodoro Technique 

The Pomodoro technique is where you study/work for 25 minutes and then take a 5-minute break. After repeating this process four times, you take a more extended 30-minute break and then restart the process. This technique promotes productivity and focus while stimulating higher energy levels. 

4. Study with a Friend

Studying with a friend is a great way to enjoy studying. Even if you are reviewing different things, you can encourage each other to remain on task. If you have a friend in your class, all the better, and you can work together to review materials. 

5. Take a Walk Outside

Breaks are so important, especially breaks that will reset your mind. Taking a short walk outside can increase endorphins and create energy flow. 

Antoinette is a sophomore at Holy Cross from Westchester, NY. She spends free time online shopping and rewatching Gossip Girl.