Style

Tips for Dressing For the Changing Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Waking up and trying to decide what to wear when it’s 35 degrees outside but is going to be 55 degrees by mid-afternoon is a real hassle. The answer: layering! There are plenty of ways to layer your clothing while looking fashionable and being prepared for whatever Mother Nature is going to throw your way!

Turtlenecks

Turtlenecks are so versatile! You can wear one as is, put one under ANY kind of sweater: a low cut v-neck, crew neck, or even a crew neck sweatshirt. You can wear one under a baggy graphic t-shirt or put one on under a dress. Turtlenecks will keep you warm when it’s under another article of clothing, and when it gets warm you can take either the turtleneck or the top layer off!

Jackets

Jackets are a pretty basic part of layering. Choosing a jacket that is a bit more lightweight may be the best option because it covers the in-between temperatures. A windbreaker, blazer, cardigan, bomber jacket, leather jacket, or jean jacket can all be dressed up or dressed down for a more casual look. With layers underneath one of these jackets, you are set for the cold and can de-layer for the warm!

Scarves

Scarves can really bring a look together. You can wear it around your neck, over your shoulders, as a neck-tie, and when it gets warm, just tie it to your bag or purse for a nice accent or on your pants as a belt!

Over-Sweaters

Okay, for this category there are a few options. Sweater vests are really coming back now and there are some super cute ones out there. Throw a sweater vest over a button down shirt, a blouse, a turtleneck, or a top that has some statement sleeves for a super chic, changeable look! You can also do a classic sweater over a plaid or solid-colored button down shirt with the collar sticking out of the top for a super stylish look.

Hoodies

Hoodies are honestly a great piece to layer with. You can throw on a hoodie, a cute jacket over it and some jeans or funky pants, and statement shoes for a comfortable outfit that looks way more put together than it actually is!

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Fiona is a senior at Holy Cross studying physics and business. She is originally from Stamford, CT, but has loved spending her college years in Worcester. She is passionate about friends and family, cooking, being involved with campus and community activities as well as crossfit and working out. Her and fellow chapter member, Charlotte Keane, are so excited to be the Campus Correspondents this year!