This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Fellow HerCampus member Fiona Smith and I were driving through Worcester the other day admiring how much we love the city. It was then that I realized that in the two years I have attended Holy Cross, I have learned how great of a city Worcester is and how much I have grown to love it, so I decided to write it a love letter.

Dear Worcester,

I have lived here for two years now. I can still remember the first time I thought of you as home. I was walking through campus as the sun had just barely risen; the sun shined down on all of your buildings, both tall and short. I began to feel an overwhelming sense of comfort and happiness. I finally realized that you are my new home and I am proud to call you that. When people from back home ask where, I proudly say that I live in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Since I was gifted the view of the entire city of Worcester in my freshman dorm I have spent many nights overlooking your city lights. Once I even got to witness the fireworks from Polar Park, marking the end of the Woo Sox season. I watched people as people hopped on the I-290, driving to the heart of the city. I felt as if I was looking at my home away from home.

I believe the best part of you is the people you have built a home for. Worcester has always been a community and they have welcomed me with open arms. From cheering on the Woo Sox to exploring the Worcester Art Museum to walking the grounds of Green Hill Park. We have all found a common love for you that we cherish deeply. You have brought people from all walks of life together through your beauty and talent.

I think my favorite image of you is when the sun is almost ready to set but not quite. It fights over the tops of the mountains, proudly highlighting Union Station and your colorful triple-decker houses. The sun shines down on Cascading Waters, Elm Park, and Green Hill Park where their water shimmers right back at the sun.

How can I mention how much I love you without mentioning your food! Most notably you have given people the opportunity to share their culture’s food with others at the Worcester Public Market. The most delicious Mediterranean food–shout out to Afia’s Mediterranean Kitchen you have the best hummus–I have ever tasted came from you. Another great is Wings Over Worcester–now keep in mind I have been a vegetarian for three years and went on a hiatus to eat here–those were the best wings I have ever eaten. I cannot emphasize enough how great your food is.

You are nothing short of accomplishments. You birthed the smiley face :) which the Woo Sox proudly don. Even the first Valentine’s Day card was sent with Worcester on the return address. You blessed us with the invention of diner cars–in particular thank you Miss Worcester and Boulevard Diner for feeding me. 

Worcester, how can anyone not love you? You have brought me my friends and a new home. You are the heart of Massachusetts; you are at the center of my life and everyone who lives in you.

Love you always,

Emma

Emma Weiss

Holy Cross '26

Emma Weiss is a current Sophomore at Holy Cross, but she is originally from Michigan. She is a Political Science major with minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing. In her free time, she loves to explore Pinterest, make playlists, and drink coffee!