Wellness

How I Prepare for my 8AMs as a Non-Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

When I learned I could not get into the later section of one of my classes during enrollment, I was devastated. As someone who has always dreaded waking up early, I always shoot for classes starting at 9AM or later. I do this with the belief that I am not able to perform or listen to the best of my abilities if I am barely awake… That being said, I accepted my fate after multiple tries of trying to change my schedule. I figured I would just try to make the best of a less than ideal situation, and brave through my 8 AM.

The first thing I knew I needed to do was, obviously, make sure I woke up on time. The day before my class I always make sure to get my homework done earlier so that I’m not up late doing work before I have to wake up. I also make sure I have some relaxation time before I go to bed so I can ease into my sleep, and set multiple alarms because we can never take any chances! I heard somewhere that getting your morning started before you have to leave the house is essential to starting a productive day, so I make it a goal to wake up by my first or second alarm (I have 3…like I said, not a morning person). I also make sure to plan my outfit and leave everything out for the next morning, given my brain does not function well very early. I try to wake up at least an hour before so that I can take my time getting ready, and I try to listen to some music or an interesting podcast to stimulate my brain and make sure I am awake. With this routine, I am able to get ready in peace, without rushing. I’ve found that with these habits are now things I actually look forward to, I’ve become attached to waking up and starting my day off on the right foot. Glamorize your mornings. I guarantee it will lead to a more productive day and better overall habits as we ease into the Spring semester!

Larissa Nunes

Holy Cross '24

Hi everyone! My name is Larissa Nunes and I am originally from Framingham, MA, but I also have family and spent some of my childhood in Brazil. I plan to major in the humanities on a pre-law track because writing and journaling have always been one of my favorite things to do. In addition to that, I was also a ballet dancer for 11 years. I enjoy talking about politics as well as fashion and lifestyle. I have a wide array of passions, so writing for Her Campus is the perfect way to express myself while appealing to different interests and types of people!