This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Saturday, October 17th is NATIONAL PASTA DAY!!

Here are some ideas to celebrate, some pasta places you should check out and of course…a homemade pasta recipe!

Pasta has to be one of the best carbs; there are over 350 different types of pasta and about a million different sauces, combinations and pairings!

From grandma’s lasagna, to homemade mac and cheese, delicious pasta dishes at a fancy Italian restaurant and the late night packs of ramen in your college dorm — pasta is timeless!

Feeling Social? 

Host a spaghetti dinner! There is nothing better than sitting down to a huge bowl of spaghetti and meatballs surrounded by family, friends or even teammates. 

Feeling Ambitious?

Scroll to the bottom of this article to find a recipe for homemade pasta! Tackle this with some friends and all try to make different pasta shapes. It can be basic fettuccine or spaghetti, or get crazy and try to make ravioli, tortellini or even sheets and throw together a lasagna!

Feeling Lazy?

Check out one of these AMAZING pasta places in Worcester and near campus- it is definitely worth it!

PASTA MANi 

Located only 2 miles from campus at 160 Green Street in the Worcester Public Market, this place just opened this year! You can watch them make fresh pasta from the street as you walk by. The menu is always changing with new types of pastas and sauces. Check the website https://pastamani.com/ or their instagram pasta_mani_worcester for their daily menu and pictures of their dishes!

Mare E Monti Trattoria 

Just about 3 miles from campus at 19 Wall Street this place has been in the same location for over 25 years and the owner is a native Italian! Their menu ranges from meat to seafood to tons of pasta dishes. Not to mention they have a new Spaghetti al Formaggio Parmigiano Cheese Bowl… you know where to find me on Saturday!

Nuovo 

Also just under 3 miles from campus at 92 Shrewsbury Street Nuovo has won a Diner’s Choice Award by Open Table in 2017, 2018 and 2020! This family owned business has been in Worcester since 2011 and their extensive menu is a blend of Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. 

Eataly- Boston

About 45 minutes from campus Eataly in The Prudential Center is where you can find counters to purchase some of the best ingredients for your pasta night in and some amazing restaurants to dine-in or take- out a wide range of delicious Italian cuisine!

HOMEMADE PASTA!!

There are three recipe variations here each with a different type of flour- I have to say the recipe with 00 flour does make the best pasta, but 00 flour is hard to find!!

ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR RECIPE INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

• 1 pinch kosher salt

• 2 large eggs

• 6 large egg yolks

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

’00’ FLOUR RECIPE INGREDIENTS 

• 2 cups ’00’ grade pasta flour, plus more for dusting

• 1 pinch kosher salt

• 3 large eggs

• 5 large egg yolks

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

SEMOLINA FLOUR RECIPE INGREDIENTS 

• 1 cup semolina flour

• 1 cup all-purpose flour, or ’00’ flour

• 1 pinch kosher salt

• 2 large eggs

• 6 large egg yolks

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

RECIPE- make sure you read through the whole thing before starting!!

1. On a clean, sturdy work surface, pour out your chosen flour(s) and salt and make a large well in the middle of the pile with your hands.

2. Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, and olive oil together in a medium bowl until combined, then pour the mixture into the well in the flour.

3. Using the same fork, continue whisking the eggs in the well, slowly incorporating more and more flour into the eggs by moving your fork along the edges of the well.

4. Once almost all of the flour is incorporated, start bringing the dough together with your hands. (The dough should be malleable, but not sticky–add more flour if the dough is sticking too much to your hands or the surface. Alternatively, if it’s too dry and tough, whisk another egg with 1 tablespoon of water and use your hand to sprinkle some of the mixture over the dough, continuing to do so until the dough is easier to knead.)

5. Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. When you poke the dough, it should spring back.

6. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour, or until the dough does not spring back when poked.

7. Unwrap the dough and cut into 8 equal pieces so that it’s easier to work with. Take 1 piece and wrap the rest in the plastic wrap so that they don’t dry out.

8. Lightly flour your work surface, and begin rolling the piece of dough out into one long piece. Then, fold the top third down, and the bottom third over that, like a letter. Rotate the dough 90˚ and roll the piece back into a long shape. This helps form a more even rectangular shape and makes the dough a little bit easier to work with.

9. Continue rolling out the dough until it is very thin. When you lift the dough, you should be able to see light through it.

10. Fold the top and bottom of the rectangle to meet in the middle, then fold over again–this will make the dough easier to cut. Cut the dough to your ideal shape. Loosen or unravel the cut dough immediately — so it doesn’t stick, sprinkle with a bit of extra flour, or semolina, if using. Let the pasta sit out for about 30 minutes to dry out slightly.

11. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and stir to ensure it doesn’t clump. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or 30 seconds to 1 minute after the pasta comes to the surface (fresh pasta will cook much faster than dried pasta!)

12. Take out a noodle and taste for doneness. Once cooked to your liking, remove the pasta from the water, being sure to save at least 1 cup (240 ML) of the pasta cooking water.

13. Add the cooked pasta into your preferred sauce and stir to coat, adding some of the reserved pasta water if needed to add a bit of body and silkiness to the sauce.

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Hi I’m Fiona Willette and I am a freshman at Holy Cross! I am from Stamford, Connecticut. In my free time I like to run, lift weights, water and snow ski and swim!