Four Easy Ways to Reinvent Trends on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As we enter the fall season here at Holy Cross, it’s impossible not to notice the slew of impeccably dressed collegiettes sporting their best outfits from Cool Beans to Dinand. Among the most commonly worn items are the simple yet elegant J.Crew Downtown Field Jacket, a fuzzy Patagonia pullover, and a pair of classic (and much-needed for Worcester winters) Bean Boots. While everyone loves classic pieces, it’s always nice to see fresh, new articles of clothing that are underrepresented on the hill. Here are four alternative pieces—from outerwear to jewelry – that will spice up your wardrobe and set you apart from the rest.

1. Field Jacket → Fatigue JacketA fatigue/military jacket is the perfect staple for a Crusader’s closet. The jacket’s long length creates a figure-flattering silhouette that can easily be paired with dark jeans, a flowy dress, or a pair of leggings. What’s more? The olive color of fatigue jackets is beyond versatile, and can be worn fall through spring. You can find fatigue jackets at J.Crew (currently 30% off), Nordstrom, Lucky Brand, and Madewell.
  2. Longchamp Tote → Oversized SatchelIf you’re looking for a new bag but don’t want to buy something everyone has, an oversized satchel could be the bag for you. A cross between a tote and a messenger bag, oversized satchels are perfect for a trip to Blackstone or for carrying your books from class to class. Stuff all of your essentials in it and drape it over one shoulder or wear it as a crossbody. Invest in an oversized satchel from Madewell or Urban Outfitters or find a steal at Forever 21.
  3. Monogram Necklace → Initial Charm NecklaceFrom laptop stickers to wall decals, monograms are everywhere. For an outfit that doesn’t quite need a statement necklace, monogram necklaces are perfect to tie an outfit together while keeping it simple. However, if you’re looking for a different piece of jewelry but still want to sport your initials, an initial charm necklace is the perfect option. A bit more understated than elaborate monogram necklaces, these tiny pendants create a simple yet chic look. You can find initial charm necklaces on Etsy, Stella&Dot, and BaubleBar. 

4. Shep Shirt  → Pocket SweatshirtWhile it’s tempting to buy one of the many adorable Shep Shirts carried in the HC Bookstore, you probably have a few in your closet already – switch it up with a pocket sweatshirt and stand out! Perfect for late nights in Dinand, pocket sweatshirts are comfy, easy to wear and super cute. For those of you who love everything monogrammed, Marley Lilly offers monogrammed pockets! Other sites that carry equally as cute pocket sweatshirts are the Fraternity Collection and Frocket.
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.