9 Pictures Every Girl Instagrams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

1. The selfie (I never do this….)

Yes, you do this; you love selfies and you posted the picture because you think you look hot in it. The selfie is a way for girls to test every pose possible in the right lighting in an attempt to look good. BUT, if you do take a good selfie then props to you, because Snapchat has taught me one thing and one thing only- taking a hot selfie is almost physically impossible.  

2. The bathing suit picture

The classic bathing suit picture. Of course, these always get the most likes with comments like “skinny minny,” “eat a cheeseburger,” and all the many things girls want to hear from other girls. On the other hand, guys throw a like because, well, it’s a girl in a bathing suit.

3. The birthday post

You are one lucky girl if you can rack up the likes on a birthday post. These are always the hardest ones to crack 50, let alone 100 likes. We all feel compelled to post an Instagram for our best friend’s birthday, whether it’s a pic stich of 100 selfies by your best friend or a cute pic of the two of you, with hopes that your friend will return the gesture of course.

4. The Valentine’s Day picture

There are three ways that Valentines Day pictures can go. Option one is the sappy picture where the boyfriend is kissing the girl on the cheek and she writes some song lyric about love and how lucky she is to have a guy like him. Option two is the Instagram of whatever gift one has received on Valentine’s Day. But, this one can be sneaky. How do we know the flowers you Instagrammed weren’t from your dad or the box of chocolates and the teddy bear weren’t from your little sister’s fifth grade boyfriend? Option three is the Instagram with your other single best friend and a line asking who needs a guy when you have such an amazing best friend. Power to the single ladies, though, because they are running this world.

5. The legs with the beach or pool background

Otherwise known as the “hot dogs or legs?” picture. Obviously, it’s their legs since two hot dogs wouldn’t be sitting on a beach. This picture is for girls to either brag about the fact that they are “in paradise” somewhere on a nice sandy beach while you’re sitting on your living room couch or to show their cleavage in a way that doesn’t exactly scream that they want to show their cleavage. The beach or pool is the decoy, people: it’s never actually about the beach or the pool. If it were, they would have Instagrammed a nice sunset full of blended oranges and yellows or waves crashing on the shore.

6. The baby picture

Ahh, #throwbackthursday or the day of baby pictures from childhood. Whether it’s a cute picture of you in your oversized soccer uniform or ballet tutu, you can always guarantee a good number of likes on a baby pic. If you had chubby cheeks, a head full of curls, or your two front teeth are missing you can also guarantee some “awwwww” comments.  

7. Transformation Tuesday

When girls Instagram a Tansformation Tuesday, it’s a humble brag. They make a point to laugh or make fun of one picture when actually it’s just to show how gorgeous they are now. Why else would you post a picture of you in eighth grade with braces and a middle part next to a picture of you with your hair flowing perfectly as your tan skin glows in the sun? It’s asking for compliments while not asking for compliments.

8. The holiday fam pic

The holidays are the most predictable time for Instagrams, and of course, everyone feels pressured to like each insta because the post is about family and the holiday spirit. These are the golden grams, the ones that reach the sacred 100 likes. Whether you use the classic “thankful for these guys” on Thanksgiving or “Merry Christmas from the (insert family name here) family!,” they all flourish in the likes category.

9. The boyfriend pic  

These Instagrams are always just too cute not to like UNLESS you are one of the annoying couples who either writes legit novels every time you Instagram each other or constantly says “my boyfriend>your boyfriend.” Besides that couple (and we all know one), boyfriend Instagrams are the best. Everyone comments the smiley face emoji with the hearts in the eyes, and if you have a candid picture (even if it’s faked really well) that will rack up the likes and comments. Hey, at least boys are good for Instagram likes even though they hate taking the picture in the first place.