8 Halloween Necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

1). EAT CANDY.  We are never too old for candy, you must stock up. Chocolate in the freezer for sure, especially Reeses and Kit Kats.

2). An original Halloween costume. We need some creativity here, no more slutty nurses or maids, and the minions are over used. It’s been done, we need new trends!

3. Scary Stories (Lights off, flashlight for story teller for maximum dramatic affect). Nothing beats some good scary stories whether real or not, exaggerated or straight up facts; scary stories will give people the goose bumps if you tell them right! Halloween is the perfect time to break out your “ghost” stories.

4). A pumpkin. Does not matter what size or shape, or if it’s real or fake— just stick a pumpkin somewhere in your room or house.  It really makes Halloween become real, and who doesn’t love a good ole pumpkin?!

5). A Halloween party. Someone has to do it. Halloween isn’t Halloween without a costume party, and this gives people an opportunity to be someone or something else. 

6) Scary movie marathons. Such a cliché but a must during Halloween. Turn off the lights, grab the popcorn, and put on some scary movies. Bonus: Storming outside and/or full moon.  Recommended movies: The Call, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Sinister, The Orphan, Hocus Pocus

7). Baking Halloween treats. Halloween is the best time to put on your chefs hat and whip up some festive treats for you and your friends. Favorites: Halloween popcorn balls (add candy corn for best results), iced pumpkin cookies, and spooky witches fingers

8). Pumpkin flavored everything. Going to pull out the white girl stereotype here. Pumpkin flavored everything is the way to go. Pumpkin iced coffee, pumpkin hot coffee, pumpkin bars, pumpkin bread, PUMPKIN PIE— I don’t care what it is, make something or buy something that is pumpkin flavored, because it is worth it. 

Tess MacKay

Holy Cross

If there's anything I've mastered in this life, it's a successful hair flip.