7 Important Women to Inspire YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

In case you were on the lookout for a new role model…

1. Amal Alamuddin (Clooney): This stunning role model is an Oxford-educated human rights lawyer (impressed yet?).  She has worked on multiple high profile cases, including defending WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, as well as the former prime minister of Ukraine. She is the true culmination of the idea that *education is power* and that you don’t have to sacrifice your career for anyone, even George Clooney. Amal Clooney has the class, modesty, and intelligence that makes her a true inspiration for all us young adults (gals&guys).

2. Emma Watson:We all know this British beaut as the Harry Potter sweetheart. As a Brown graduate, Emma has made a name for herself outside of Hollywood. As a newly appointed UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, she advocates for gender equality and launched the “HeForShe” campaign to bring attention to these issues on a global scale. This young humanitarian sets an example not just in the realm of social involvement but with her poise (and style**) as well.

3. Angelina Jolie:Yes everyone, she is much more than an Oscar-winning actress. This mother of six demonstrated extraordinary courage in choosing to undergo a preventative double mastectomy and letting other women know about her decision in order to raise awareness and challenge the common conception of what is “beautiful”.  It doesn’t stop there. Jolie is an empowering humanitarian, giving a voice to those who aren’t heard by going on field missions to war-ravaged and poverty stricken areas around the world. Superwoman anyone??

4. Shirley Chisholm:This trailblazing female politician paved the way for many to follow when she became the first African American woman to be elected to Congress, serving seven terms. She didn’t stop there; in 1972 she ran for the Democratic presidential nomination, not expecting a victory but wanting to raise important issues. With the campaign slogan “Unbought and Unbossed” how could you not feel inspired by her??

5. Gloria Steinem:Ms. Steinem is widely known for her work as a feminist activist, advocating for gender equality. Queen of aviator sunglasses and turtleneck tops, this American feminist pushed boundaries, examining the societal roles in sex and race realms of social order. With a whole new generation of cultural issues surrounding women and men, Gloria Steinem stands as inspiration for a continuation of the long-existing feminist movement while showing some serious ~girl power~.

6. Maya Lin:This female architect designed the powerful Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. – at age 20. Originally designing the memorial as a school project, she consequently gave the nation a place to mourn and proved how influential students can be.

7. Shirin Neshat:This Iranian visual artist redefines the many facets of being a woman in modern Islamic society. Using mainly film and photography, she unravels the clichéd vision of many Iranian women instead portraying them as empowered beings. Shirin Neshat creates art that is free of any political or religious agenda, allowing the viewers to come to their own conclusions. She aspires to cast down stereotypes not just within Iranian culture but for individuals everywhere.