Cool Ways to Calm Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

If you find yourself a little extra stressed this month, don’t be too surprised. November tends to be one of the most stressful months for Hollins students as many professors assign big projects around Thanksgiving break, classrooms begin to prepare for final exams, students return home for break (during which time travel and, for some, time at home can be stress-inducing), and the weather changes causing some people to get sick. Taking basic care of yourself is one of the best ways to stave off the pressure pests.

While this may be a little more difficult to do on a college campus as opposed to in your home, it’s not impossible. Here are some easy ways to keep the worry at bay.

–          Go for a ten-minute walk. Walking not only gets your blood flowing but allows you to clear your head while offering small distractions. This method benefits your mind and your body.

–           Practice deep breathing. By focusing on your breathing patterns, you’re able to slow the busy stream of thoughts circling in your head. Plus, the increased oxygen to your brain will help you think better and more clearly.

–           Eat a healthy snack. Whether it’s an apple, some granola, or another tasty snack, healthy food choices will give you the nutrients you need to run smoothly and happily.

–           Keep a plant in your room. Studies have shown that keeping a piece of nature in your room or living space can help reduce stress. A fresh green color will help brighten your room and your life.

–           Take a break away from your computer, phone, and television. Staring at electronic screens all day tires out the eyes which in turn tires out the body. Take regular breaks to avoid getting tired and stressing out.

–           Listen to some music. From Frank Sinatra to Slipknot, music will give your brain a rest from all of the critical and stressful thinking. Sing along, dance along, or just sit back and enjoy.

–           Chew gum. Chewing gum has been proven to help with activities such as multitasking. Plus, it will give your tensed jaw a break from all of the squeezing without damaging your teeth.

–           Watch a funny video, tell a joke, make yourself laugh. Laughter is the best medicine! Even if you start with a fake laugh or smile, the brain does not know the difference and endorphins will be released thus making you happy.

–           Spend time with friend. Spending time with a friend may mean venting, seeking advice, or just getting a distraction. Chances are you’ll end up laughing and taking a break from all those electronic screens while you’re socializing, too!

–           Craft using your fine, repetitive motor skills. Using fine, repetitive motor skills can require a good amount of focus. When you’re focusing on crafting, you free your mind from the stressful thoughts which plague you.

–           Have a glass of water. Staying hydrated is essential. Like having enough oxygen, having enough water helps your body to keep running in good health. The better your physical health, the better your mental health!

–           Exercise. Exercise can be a great way of getting out frustration in a productive way. This may mean biking, running, lifting weights, or doing other physical activities that gets the blood pumping.

–          Stay organized and practice time management. These two practices will help you keep from getting too stressed out. Keeping everything in its place and on schedule helps to keep you from asking whether or not you’ve already completed something.

–          Visualize being calm. Oftentimes, we’re so focused on being stressed out that it stresses us out even more. Imagine yourself being calm and you’re one step closer to shaking those anxious feelings.

–          Spend time with animals. Scientists say that spending time with furry friends can help reduce stress. We suggest looking into volunteering at the Roanoke SPCA or Angels of Assisi. (Please remember that animals are not allowed in residence halls.)

–          Clean and tidy up. An organized external environment will help lead to an organized internal environment. To keep your thoughts neat, keep your space devoid of clutter.

–          Make an appointment with Health & Counseling. Hollins Health & Counseling is available to make appointments for physical and mental health needs. Their schedule can be found at http://www.hollins.edu/studentlife/healthcounseling.shtml and you can contact them at (540) 362-6444.

–          Sleep. Getting enough sleep is the easiest way to help reduce stress. College students need eight to ten hours of sleep to feel fully rested and ready to take on their responsibilities.

–          Talk with your RA. Your RA is a great resource for getting help and relaxing. Part of her job is helping you to help yourself, so don’t hesitate to communicate with her! (Plus they’re all really great people!)

Don’t forget self-care. You are most likely to function at your highest capacity when you are well taken care of in mind, body, and spirit.

I grew up in New Hampshire writing frequently and reading always. After high school, I began my English/Creative Writing degree at Hollins University in Virginia. My aspirations include becoming a young adult librarian and writing for the same audience.