alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Written in the Stars: What’s a Mercury in Retrograde?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Last week we talked about Mercury signs and how it influences our communication. This week we’re delving into Mercury in retrograde *gasp*. If your mood has been off or luck just doesn’t seem to be on your side, Mercury in retrograde may be the cause of your stress.

When we say Mercury is in retrograde, scientifically this means that the planet appears to be moving backward. From an astrological standpoint, it is during these times that people may feel confusion, frustration and delays. Theories also suggest that coincidences that take place during these times are “extraordinary.” To make matters worse, depending on what sign the zodiac is in during the year, will impact what kinds of struggles or frustrations you run into.

We can expect Mercury to be in retrograde three times a year. Currently, Mercury is in retrograde and has been since October 31. You can expect Mercury to be out of retrograde on November 20 (yay!). 

Mercury in retrograde can affect all of the signs differently, so we compiled a list of how each sign may have been affected during this Mercury in retrograde!

Aries

You love to keep moving at a fast and smooth pace, but when Mercury is in retrograde, some hurdles and bumps may keep you from reaching your goals. This can cause your temper to flare and your impatient nature to come through. The answer to navigating Mercury in retrograde is patience. Take a deep breath and take it day by day because using force won’t make things go your way. 

Taurus 

Just like Aries, Mercury in retrograde tests your patience. You may often find that your calm attitude has disappeared and you are left frustrated with everyday tasks. You also value the time you spend with your loved ones. However, Mercury in retrograde can put a damper on your plans causing you to feel angry and hurt. Just remember not to blame the wrong people and things. Take a step back and remember this will go your way soon.

Gemini 

When Mercury is retrograde, it may feel like your whole world has turned upside down. But, with Mercury being your ruler planet, you are always up for a challenge. You see every bump in the road as a way to practice your problem-solving skills. The only issue is your favorite social media apps may take the hit more than you do Gemini.

Cancer

This is a hard time for you, Cancer. You already are one of the most emotional signs in the zodiac and Mercury in retrograde only intensifies those emotions, causing you to be moody. In addition to miscommunication and plans falling through, Mercury in retrograde can shake up your home and family life. Remember to stay calm and nurturing during this time, things will always work out for the best.

Leo

Leos love being the center of attention, but only when it goes their way. Mercury in retrograde can challenge this aspect of yourself. For example, the presentation you worked so hard on can be magically deleted, or you are in the middle of your phone interview for your dream internship and you lose signal. This can cause embarrassment and make you feel hopeless. During Mercury in retrograde, backup everything on your phone and computer and carefully think your plans through before going forward.

Virgo

Everyone knows that you love structure and order, Virgo. But, Mercury in retrograde brings chaos and then some. It can feel like your entire world is crumbling to pieces. Things that you can normally count on during your everyday tasks can suddenly fall through. It is important to remember that you are an earth sign and one of your superpowers is staying grounded amongst all the chaos.

Libra

Close-relationships mean so much to you, but as Mercury hits retrograde, this creates a cut off from those you consider your go-tos. With technology being a major form of communication, this will be impacted, so you’ll have to get creative and think of other methods of talking with your friends, family and S.O. During this retrograde, tread carefully with your relationships and don’t come off distant. If communication is hard, then send small reminders to show you still care.

Scorpio

Life is full of ups and downs, an aspect you hate, which is caused by the fact that you’re a fixed sign. You are patient and aware that this will not last forever. Being so strong-willed and carefree, you’re ready to ride out this wave and are prepared to take on anything that this retrograde throws at you.

Sagittarius

Be prepared to make alternate plans during this Mercury in retrograde. As someone who is constantly on-the-go and looking for your next destination, Mercury in retrograde really messes with you. During this time, travel will be delayed or canceled as times get mixed up and public transportation becomes unreliable. Be prepared to not always get to your destination on time.

Capricorn

Take some zen time until Mercury is out of retrograde. As much as you hate not being in control, you don’t have much of a choice. Progress will be slowed and you, unfortunately, won’t have the power to change it. Take some must needed rest and focus more on having a clear mind. Your master plan will be put on hold for the time being.

Aquarius

As one of the most adaptable signs, this retrograde will present you with the opportunity to gain new skills. Use these skills to get ahead, like you always do. Technology will be wonky though, so you will have to find new resources to find out information, but as the resourceful people you are known to be, we’re sure you’ll find a way.

Pisces

Daydreaming will become more frequent as your vibes and intuitive instincts about people will be off. This will confuse you and leave you out of sorts, but don’t worry! You can escape this tidal wave of confusion by retreating to your mind and imagination. The funk is almost over.

In addition to this lovely list, we included a link that tells you the exact date and time of when Mercury is in retrograde and when it is exiting. We hope you enjoyed this explanation and guidance on how to navigate one of those most chaotic times of the year!

Nicole is a sophomore at Hofstra University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Creative Writing. She enjoys writing moody poems, adding clothes to her Depop cart and bringing up astrology in any and every conversation. Also, did she mention she is a scorpio?
Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.