This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Happy Libra season everyone and welcome to the first Astrology blog post! We are going to break down the big three in astrology, your sun, moon, and rising signs. But first, a bit of Libra appreciation. Happy birthday beautiful Libras! We hope you are partying and enjoying your season. Libras are symbolized by scales, which indicates they are the harmonious sign in the zodiac. Yes, Libras can be indecisive at times but are better known for their drive for leadership positions, as well as their ability to balance all other aspects of their lives. As the peacemakers of the zodiac, you are born to bring people together with your outgoing attitude and charisma. 

Here’s some advice for this season: work on balance! Virgo season was all about being detailed and disciplined in your work life so that when Libra season comes around, you can focus more on balancing the different aspects of your life. Spend more time with the people you are closest to. Ruled by Venus, the planet of love, Libra season can be the perfect opportunity to set some time aside (balancing!) for family, close friends, and partnerships that you may be taking for granted. Be present in the moment and appreciate them for making you smile. Now, let’s get into the big three:  

Sun/Star Sign

Photo by Jake Weirick on Unsplash

Also known as your star sign, the sun sign is the main sign that represents your ego and personality. When people ask, “what’s your sign?” this is the one that they are referring to. Depending on where the sun was in position when you were born will determine what your sun sign is. So, if you were born between February 18–March 20 you would be considered a Pisces! As a Pisces, you are usually lost in your head, emotional, and empathetic. You may not exhibit all aspects of your sun sign, but most people can identify with the main characteristics. 

If you’re unsure of what your sun sign is, this is the easiest one to figure out. All you need to know is the month and day you were born. The next two big signs require more exact information because everything in astrology is determined by the placement of the planets on the day, time and place you were born.

Moon Sign

Photo by Farzad Mohsenvand on Unplash

This sign does not always match your sun sign, but that is okay! This is determined on where the moon was at the time, date and place you were born. The moon tends to stay in each sign for only two days, compared to the sun which stays in each sign for a month. This makes knowing the time and place of your birth very important because the moon changes at a much more rapid pace. 

Your moon represents your private persona, meaning the person you are when you’re by yourself. This can manifest as your fears, emotions, motivations and anxieties–the things you wouldn’t necessarily express to those around you. It is also what differentiates you from those who share the same sun sign as you, which is why not all Libras are the same, but they share commonalities. If you have a moon in Sagittarius, you are typically someone who needs freedom and is constantly looking for your next adventure. You are very spontaneous and impulsive.

Ascendant/ Rising Sign

Photo by pixel parker on Unsplash

The ascendant sign, also known as the rising sign, is the sign that is ascending on the eastern horizon the exact time you were born. It is very important that you know the exact time you were born as the rising sign changes every two hours and rearranges your entire birth chart. Your rising sign governs the first house of your chart which is all about the self, appearance, personality, and most importantly, first impressions. Usually, when you meet someone, the sign you meet first is likely going to be the characteristics of their rising signs. 

Often times the ascendant can be described as a mask people wear, however, that is just a slight misconception. It is not the mask you wear, as it is a part of who you are and your personality. It shows itself most commonly in your appearance and how you behave in a new setting. For example, the intense eyes and stare are a dead giveaway that someone is a Scorpio rising. Scorpio ascendants are known to be more a tad bit shy and are always described as mysterious as they do not reveal so much of themselves upon first appearances. 

That’s all for this week! Now that you know what the big three are, be sure to flex your newfound knowledge and come back next Monday when we rank the best astrology sites to create your birth chart. Happy Libra season!

Nicole is a sophomore at Hofstra University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Creative Writing. She enjoys writing moody poems, adding clothes to her Depop cart and bringing up astrology in any and every conversation. Also, did she mention she is a scorpio?
Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.