This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Her Campus Hofstra has ambitious and talented women, so let’s meet them!

Up this week, we have Dorothea Armijos! 

Dorothea posing for the women crush wendsday blog
Original photo by Dorothea Armijos

Major: Journalism 

Minor: Fine Arts

Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 

Member Since: September 2020

Why did you join Her Campus?

• “I joined Her Campus mainly because I’m really into magazine writing. I like writing magazine features, I’m not really into hard news. I also like that it was an all women’s, empowering club, so that also appealed to me.”

Would you recommend Hofstra to a senior in high school? Why or why not?

• “I would recommend Hofstra to a senior in High School, depending on what they want to major in because I think Hofstra has a really good school for communications, and the medical school is really good.”

Where do you think is the best place to study on campus?

• “I study a lot in my room, because when I study I talk to myself, so I don’t wanna seem crazy. But, I do study in the Library, too, because of the setting and it makes me productive.”

What motivates you to do schoolwork?

• “That’s a hard one. I think I motivate myself, mostly because I have to, this is something I have to do. What I think really motivates me, honestly, is being organized and having a set thing. ‘This the schoolwork I’m going to work on today.’ So, just knowing and prioritizing what I’m going to do helps me stay organized and it motivates me, so I have something to do.”

Where do you plan on living after college?

• “I have no clue. I definitely don’t want to live in Philadelphia, mostly because I’ve been there my whole life. There’s nothing against it, it’s just not where I see myself. I know a lot of people who are from Philadelphia that are like, ‘I can’t wait to live in Philly!’ I just don’t see myself there. I want to say New York or Chicago, I’ve been interested in living in Chicago.”

What is a goal you are currently working on?

• “Currently, I am trying to have my name on more articles and have more published work as a Journalism major, so that is what I am really focused on.”

Do you write for The Hofstra Chronicle?

• “Currently, I am trying to write for The Hofstra Chronicle, but right now I am mostly working on editing for them and their social media team.”

What is your favorite vacation you’ve been on?

• “I had the opportunity in high school to be a part of a program to go certain places, and it was cheaper to go with the school. So, in my sophomore year, I ended going to China. I loved it! I feel like that was the best experience and place I have ever been to. If you get the chance, I definitely recommend it!”

What TV shows are you currently binge-watching?

• “I shuffle back and forth between watching the same couple of shows because I am terrible at starting new shows. Right now, I am rewatching ‘Law & Order: SVU.’ I just finished my 100th rewatch of ‘Criminal Minds.’”

Which of your personality traits has been the most useful?

• “My resilience has definitely been the most useful to help me get through everyday life and obstacles, and motivating myself with school work.”

What does “resilience” mean to you?

• “What I think ‘resilience’ means to me is pushing myself forward even though it’s hard.”

What do you find more comfortable, being a leader or a follower?

• “I definitely have been more of a follower. I’ve felt that way since I was younger. Once I graduated from high school, I definitely became more comfortable with becoming a leader and shifted less into a follower and more into a leader. I became more comfortable with starting stuff and being a leader while in college.”

What activity or hobby did you pick up during quarantine? 

• “I drew a lot. I used to draw a lot in middle and high school and then I stopped because everything got too busy and I couldn’t keep up. So, I started to draw a lot in quarantine. I drew with my sister. It was mainly sketches, nothing serious.”

What is your go-to drink at Starbucks or Dunkin’?

• “A venti iced latte with almond milk.”

What “old person” things do you do?

• “Sometimes, I go to bed at 8 p.m. I also listen to a lot of old town music and I’m always squinting and I have a memory like a peanut.”

Favorite comfort food?

• “Brownies.”

What’s your star sign?

• “My sun sign is a Sagittarius, my moon sign is a Sun and my rising is a Leo.”

Zahirah is a Freshie at Hofstra University studying Journalism and double minoring in Political Science and Rhetorical Studies. She plans on becoming a news reporter for CNN, she wants to keep you on top of what's going on in the world while also putting the conservatives in their place. She plans on living in Manhattan after college and opening up her own cafe. She likes to volunteer, write to her pen-pal in London, and drink any form of caffeine. : )