andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Your Brother is Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

A sibling is someone you’re going to grow up with and are stuck with for the rest of your life. Fortunately, I have a brother close in age that I get along with quite well.

My brother is two years younger than I am, and as the older sibling, I like to think I get to show him the ropes (well, I try, but it’s never successful).

Don’t get me wrong, siblings fight. In fact, I use to beat my brother up all the time when we were younger to assert my dominance. Except now he’s taller and stronger than I am, so I can tell you that karma exists.

But no one understands you like your sibling. We are just an unstoppable sibling duo that no one really gets. We make up our own inside jokes, have same preferences and can overall just laugh at nothing.

We can spend a Saturday night inside playing board games like Guess Who or Candyland, and then play intense games of Mario Party 8 on the Wii to see who’ll win. We also compete in Jeopardy on the weeknights we’re home. Come to think of it…we’re pretty competitive, but it’s all in good fun.

Another bond we share is our love for Disney. Whether it’s jamming out to “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” in the car or watching old Disney movies on VHS or even planning our next trip to Disney World, we communicate on some strange sibling level. Now that we’re older, we get to hang out more. My brother actually came to visit me at college not too long ago, and it was really fun. We get to bond without our parents (sorry mom and dad), and just regroup and catch-up now that we’re both in college.

That’s the reason why siblings are great. You have a best friend for life. Someone has seen you through it all, but has to love you anyway. I’m thankful to have a brother I closely relate to, and I know he loves me (or tolerates me) just the same. 

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.