This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Since the debut of her self-titled album in 2006, Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry. From topping the country music charts to swiftly transitioning into a pop music sensation, Swift has been a leader in the music industry. As we enter a new Swift era, her latest album sets us up with a new outlook on both life and love.

*Courtesty of Giphy

Having now been released for a month, Swift took fans’ breathe away with the release of her seventh album, “Lover.” With songs describing love, loss and the current political climate, her latest album combines the lyrical mastery of “Speak Now” (2010) with the catchy pop beats of her iconic “1989” (2014) album. Undoubtedly, her vulnerability is present throughout the album, describing intimate details of her life from her relationship with actor Joe Alwyn in “Lover”, to the pain of watching a loved one get sick in “Soon You’ll Get Better.”

One of the most iconic songs on the album is “Death By A Thousand Cuts.” What sets this song apart from the rest is the story behind it. Swift was initially inspired by the rom-com, “Someone Great”, and used the plot as the main driver of her lyrics. The irony though is that the writer and director of the movie, Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, wrote the movie based on Swift’s song about overcoming heartbreak, “Clean.”

Whether you are a Swiftie or not, this album if nothing else, Swift has shown an evolution, praising her own growth as an artist. Music videos like “ME!” and “You Need To Calm Down” symbolize her maturity as she exits the Reputation era where she embraced the snake comments and media criticism, and enters an evolution stage, turning into a butterfly fluttering into a state of happiness and excitement towards what the future holds.

Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.