Why Jack & Jack Should Be Your New Favorite Music Duo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

A post shared by J&J (@jackandjack) on

Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky are the two Jacks that compose the pop duo Jack & Jack. If you don’t think you have heard of them, you most likely have seen their popular comedic Vine videos or heard about them as being members of the original MAGCON phenomenon. Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, they became friends in Kindergarten upon realizing they were wearing the same shirt and shared the same name. Jack & Jack used their immense following on their social media platforms to promote their music. Their music is not your typical synthesized pop music. The duo has a unique dynamic as Gilinsky sings and Johnson raps. Their most popular song to date is “Like That” amassing over 38 million views on YouTube. Their music has drastically improved from the release of their first single “Flights” in 2014.  After their separation from MAGCON and Vine, they have embarked on multiple headlining tours performing shows for stadiums with over 23,000 fans.

A post shared by J&J (@jackandjack) on

The duo recently signed to Island Records and have released two projects with the group. Their latest EP  “GONE” takes on a new style from their previous projects. In comparison to their former EP “Calibraska,” one is able to sense a new level of maturity within this recent EP. In addition to “GONE,” the duo released a unique short music movie on YouTube, which lasts for about 20 minutes. It is extremely humbling to see how close the guys are to Omaha as they filmed the video there instead of Los Angeles.

A post shared by J&J (@jackandjack) on

The connection Jack & Jack have with their fans is like no other. They go above and beyond to interact with their fans on social media as well as in person. I have had the opportunity to meet the guys multiple times since their debut in the entertainment industry. I have never had a negative experience with these guys as they are always all smiles and willing to take pictures and spend quality time with their supporters. Having been to multiple of their concerts in the past, I have never been disappointed with their performances. Their high level of energy always calls for a fun time.

A post shared by J&J (@jackandjack) on

I recently had the opportunity to attend one of their shows on November 4rd at iPlay America in New Jersey. They began with “Distraction” from their new EP. They continued on to perform a few of their unreleased songs. They surprised the audience, especially those who have been supporting them from the beginning, by performing a medley of all their old songs, including their first single “Flights.” It was a huge surprise, not only to me but the other fans who have attended multiple of their concerts. After the medley, they sang some more new music and covers. Out of the several of their headlining shows that I have attended, this one stood out as it was more intimate with about 400 people in the audience. Their incorporation of drums and multiple remixes added dimension and made the show unique. After performing for about an hour, they came back on stage for an encore performance of “Like That.” I would definitely recommend attending one of their shows if they come to a city near you. Be sure to follow them on all of their social media platforms for updates on their upcoming projects!

Cover Photo

Hi I am Jenna! I am a freshman at Hofstra university. I am a hair-dye enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture. I interview celebrities for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/celebrityhautespot