etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Halloween is the Best Holiday of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The other day I was raving about my moms’ neighbor’s apartment door decorations and she looked at me and said, “I really hate everything about Halloween.” In actual horror, I looked at my mother as if she was a complete stranger, because WHAT THE HECK MOM.

Halloween is cool.

The way some people get about Christmas is how I am with Halloween because as soon as the weekend is over, I’m already notetaking ideas for the next holiday to come, 364 days later.

The list truly goes on:

It’s the perfect time for self-expression.

You can literally be anyone you want to be on Halloween without judgement. Even though some people opt for the basic black cat or witch, others go all in with costumes and makeup because when else can you do this unless you’re a performer or a sorority girl?

There’s a movie option for everyone.

PSA: Halloween is not just for slasher movie fanatics. I, for one, get hype over The Little Vampire and Hocus Pocus but if seeing It is your idea of fun, you do you.

It’s the ultimate bonding with your BFF’s.

50% of Halloweekend fun is scrambling to find the best costume, with your BFF’s help, or planning matching outfits. If you want something that screams sexy but feminist AF, your BFF already knows exactly what you need. Plus getting ready together is the best part.

(Haunted) Hayrides.

Like I said, scary isn’t for everyone but hayrides are. Cozying up or getting the sh*t scared out of you on a tractor is a right of passage.

Seeing relatives who ask too many questions is not a requirement.

This is the one holiday where you aren’t expected to go home because your family was over you trick-or-treating by the time you went to middle school. It’s like Columbus Day, you probably have off but you can use it to rage instead of dodging your nosey aunts’ inquiry on why you aren’t engaged yet.

Date nights are a chance to get closer.

Halloween is all about mood lighting. Dim lights, a chance for your partner to feel protective of you while watching something scary, and the chance to live out your fantasies since you’re already in costume… just yes.

If you have psychic ability, it’s the perfect time to connect with heightened energies.

I’ve always believed that I can feel people’s energies really well but my powers are limited to the living. If you’re a bit more intuitive than this is your chance to really test your abilities (safely please, not all spirits are nice).

CANDY.

Sorry dentists.

You can rage.

There’s a reason college kids call it Halloweekend. Halloween is so much better when you’re not limited to one day but instead, have the option for various parties and bar nights the weekend before, week of, and weekend after October 31st.

A PSA to all my followers during Halloweekend: I put a spell on you and now you’re mine.  

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.