What You Need To Do Before Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Three months left before your life changes forever. Okay, so maybe that’s a little dramatic when phrased like that, but there isn’t much time left before you begin a brand new chapter in your life. Here are a few tips on what to do the summer before your freshman year.

Save, Save, Save!
Now is the time to get a job and work as many hours as can. It won’t be a blast at the time but you won’t believe how quickly your bank account will disappear first semester. Do it now and thank yourself later!

Network! It might seem awkward at first, but it’s the way us darn kids communicate now. Join your school’s Class of 2016 page and get to know some of the kids. It will be a lot less scary walking in the first day if you can recognize some familiar faces.

Collage Make plenty of collages of your favorite pictures from high school to decorate your dorm. It’s cheap, fun and will make you smile every time you see them.

Space out your shopping Walking into Bed Bath & Beyond before your first year of college can be extremely overwhelming. First, make separate lists for all of your needs (bathroom supplies, decorations, bedding, etc.). Then space out your trips. Go once every two weeks and knock off the lists one by one. It’s much less stressful when you break up your tasks.

Spend lots of time with your family
 Maybe they seem boring now, but you will miss them the most on your hard days first semester. Soak up all the quality family time you can get, plan a trip to the beach or just have dinner with them whenever you can.

Write a letter to yourself Writing letters to yourself is one of the best ways to reflect and watch yourself grow. Write down your fears, hopes, dreams, and goals for your freshmen year. Seal it and read it once you’ve completed the first year. You’ll have come a long way.

Look up clubs and activities your school has to offer There will be plenty of club fairs but having an idea of what you’re already interested in will give you a head start. Some activities on campus might have an application process so do your research and be ready to get involved! It will make the transition process much smoother if you get involved with something your passionate about.

Make a bucket list
This will probably be one of your last summers to just be a kid. Make a list of things you’ve always wanted to do around town and make sure you do them. Growing up means less time to get around to these things, take advantage of it now!

Have summer assignments or reading already? As much of a buzz kill as they can be, do them! It will make a great impression on professors if you go in the first day and have something knowledgeable or interesting to say about their assignment. Knock ‘em dead!

Enjoy Here’s the best piece of advice: just relax and have fun. Sure the upcoming year might have you a little antsy but this is the time to make memories and focus on yourself. Have an amazing summer and prepare for the ride of a lifetime, college is going to be great and you’re ready.

Keegan Bedinger is the new Week Ahead Section Editor. She is a sophomore studying journalism and psychology. Keegan is also a staff member at WRHU and a member of She’s the First on campus. She is very passionate about the field of journalism, Katy Perry and her dog! She’s thrilled to be joining Hofstra’s Her Campus team!
Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!