This Week at Hofstra 10/15-10/21: Debate Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s finally here! Debate Week 2012 has arrived and is electrifying campus. I know I’m not the only one who

got chills last night when the moderator of the VP debate reminded an audience of 40-50 million to tune in next week for the presidential debate at Hofstra University in New York. The eye of the world will be on our school this week, and there’s countless ways you can get involved on campus. Make sure you don’t miss out on these great events and get ready for one of the most exciting times in Hofstra history!

-Democracy in Performance 2012: Monday, October 15th 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Watch American democracy come to life through art! Student and professional actors, dancers, and musicians will be performing significant moments in our history. Watch them come to life before your eyes!

-A Defense of the Debate: Monday, 5:30-7:00 p.m. Monroe Lecture Hall
Diana Carlin, DebateWatch Founder will talk about “the quality of argument found in presidential debates.” Learn why debates are important to the campaign process!

-America’s Debt and Deficit Crisis: Issues and Solutions with Alan Simpson and Erksine Bowles, Monday 6:00-7:30 p.m. at Adams Playhouse
Interested in the deficit crisis prominent in America? This event is for you. Get educated on some economic issues for the candidates discuss them on Tuesday!

-Issue Alley: Tuesday, in the Main Dining Room of the Student Center and in the East Circle parking lot.
Come see what issues the organizations of Hofstra are concerned with and express your own! This is the perfect outlet for students to voice their opinions on election-related issues.

-Embrace the Debate: Create, Tuesday in the Netherlands
There will be all kinds of interactive debate themed activities. Make your own baseball cap and tote bag, or join in a game of political trivia!

-Embrace the Debate: Celebrate, Tuesday at Hof USA
Watch student talent groups perform and SIRUS Radio broadcast live. Come celebrate your Hofstra pride!

-Embrace the Debate: Educate, Tuesday in the Student Center Theater
Need a quick politics review before the debate? Come stop by to ask Edward J. Rollins and Howard Dean all your questions.

-Embrace the Debate: Commemorate. Tuesday in the Main Dining Room of the Student Center
Come check out the photo exhibit “What’s Your Issue?” See what your fellow classmates are worried about going in to the next election and test your political knowledge in quizzes and games!

For details on all events and where to watch debate simulcasts check out the Hofstra Debate Page!

Enjoy the opportunity of a lifetime and don’t forget to register to vote by November 6th!

Keegan Bedinger is the new Week Ahead Section Editor. She is a sophomore studying journalism and psychology. Keegan is also a staff member at WRHU and a member of She’s the First on campus. She is very passionate about the field of journalism, Katy Perry and her dog! She’s thrilled to be joining Hofstra’s Her Campus team!