The Week Ahead: 5/5/13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s crunch time, collegiates! Get ready to hit the library this week and consume lots of caffeine, because finals are just one week away. Here are some events and tips on how to make this week productive while staying stress-free. Happy studying!

The Office of Student Leadership and Activities will be hosting Stressbusters all around campus this week. There will be grab and go breakfasts, free massages, pet therapy, games and more. For the full schedule of events and times check OSLA’s website here. Make sure you check out all that they’re offering, it doesn’t get much better than stress puppies and free massages!

Need a study break? Go see Hofstra’s best dancers and actors at The Student Rep: A Festival of Student Works at 7:00 p.m., Monday in the Black Box Theatre. All performances are original student pieces and bound to be amazing. This is the perfect escape from homework if you’re searching for one!

Here are some tips on how to prepare for finals….

• Pace yourself. Make lists of everything you need to do and prioritize. Don’t stress yourself out by taking on too much at once, take your time and keep calm.
  • Make time for studying. It doesn’t have to be in the library, find a local Barnes & Noble, Starbucks or anywhere that works for you. Get comfortable and plan to stay for a few hours. We work best when we are in a space we like and feel relaxed in. So find yours, grab a coffee, and get to work!
  • Plan a gym sesh! Exercising is a great way to kick start your energy so you’ll be more alert, focused and feeling positive.
  • Eat right! Making healthy choices is essential when it comes to your ability to study effectively. Fish and nuts have been known to improve brain function and help to retain info. Berries are also a great studying snack that improves blood flow to the brain. And finally, get some dark chocolate! It’s been proven that dark chocolate helps improve memory, and who doesn’t want an excuse to eat chocolate?
  • Finally, relax. You’ve worked hard all semester and are more prepared than you think. You got this!

Work hard and have a fabulous week! 

Keegan Bedinger is the new Week Ahead Section Editor. She is a sophomore studying journalism and psychology. Keegan is also a staff member at WRHU and a member of She’s the First on campus. She is very passionate about the field of journalism, Katy Perry and her dog! She’s thrilled to be joining Hofstra’s Her Campus team!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!