We Need to Stop Sleeping on Colin Firth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Pride and Prejudice, Love Actually, Mamma Mia!, Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Bridget Jones’s Baby, What A Girl Wants, The King’s Speech, Nanny McPhee, the UK version of Fever Pitch, even the new Mary Poppins remake, Mary Poppins Returns— by sheer coincidence, Colin Firth appears in almost all of my favorite movies. His talent elevates a movie from mediocre to sensational. So, why is the world sleeping on this man? We need to recognize him as the greatest actor of all time. His career has spanned decades and my love for him will too.

A post shared by Colin Firth (@colinfirthdaily) on

It took years (YEARS!) for Mr. Firth to win his first and only Academy Award. This is ridiculous. He should have been given an Oscar as soon as he was born. Hollywood changed forever on September 10, 1960, when the King himself entered the world. At age 50, Mr. Firth finally won an Academy Award. In my honest opinion, he has been robbed for the previous 50 years of his life and he has continued to be robbed ever since. All of his performances are stunning, but Mr. Firth’s portrayal of King George VI in The King’s Speech cemented him in Hollywood history.

Mr. Firth’s breakout role may have been as Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (1995); however, he shined in his role as Lord Henry Dashwood in the 2003 coming-of-age film What A Girl Wants. Starring Amanda Bynes as his daughter, Mr. Firth proved to everyone that he deserves to be royalty, but I’ll settle for crowning him the King of Hollywood. 

Who could ever ignore Mr. Firth as the lovable Harry in Mamma Mia! and Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again? It would be a crime to not talk about him in a musical with songs by ABBA. Heck, his co-star was Meryl Streep. They could’ve had a child together, but no spoilers!

My favorite Mr. Firth character of all-time is the one and only Jamie from Love Actually. After his dumb girlfriend cheats on him with his equally as dumb brother, Jamie decides to get out of London. He settles in his French lakehouse and writes his novel. There, he falls in love with his Portuguese housekeeper, Aurélia. They both speak different languages, but love is a universal language. They are hands-down the BEST couple in the film and no one can tell me otherwise. Instead of having me write out all of the best Jaurélia moments (that’s Jamie and Aurélia’s couples name, just FYI), I’ll let you watch it and cry your eyes out instead.

If you don’t believe that Colin Firth is the greatest actor to ever exist, then I feel sorry for you. It must be rough going through life without acknowledging that you are alive at the same time as the spectacular Colin Firth. 

Abby is a senior journalism major and writing studies minor at Hofstra University. At Her Campus Hofstra, she previously held the positions of Vice President and Social Media Director before becoming co-Campus Correspondent. Abby was a social media intern at BeautyRx, a skin care company based in Manhattan, and an editorial intern at Skincare.com, which is owned and operated by L'Oréal Paris.
Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.