Daphne and Simon from Bridgerton
Daphne and Simon from Bridgerton
Shondaland / Netflix

Was “Bridgerton” Truly Snubbed at the Golden Globes?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We have one question that we hope any reader out there might have the answer to: How the heck were the Hollywood Foreign Press the only ones not binging Bridgerton this holiday? 

Wait… you don’t know either? Well, who can we call about this? 

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

2021 is heading full steam ahead into awards season, a beloved time cherished by all entertainment and pop culture lovers. Just as fans look forward to celebrating their favorite actors and tv shows over the year, they also seemingly have to face the inevitable disappointment that comes when shows they enjoy fail to be nominated. This year, however, the disappointment feels different. As Insider’s Claudia Willen notes, the fans’ reaction to Bridgerton not being on the nomination list is “beyond comprehension.” 

After learning that Bridgerton would not be receiving any nominations for its work, some of the 82 million global households who streamed the Netflix hit are left clueless as to why? 

Here is the only reason the internet has conjured up to explain this: 

Bridgerton is a show with the location of 19th-century London. It is a depiction of the regency era, that also happens to take liberties with its storytelling. This makes it not as historically accurate as the other British Netflix phenomenon “The Crown.” However, if one were to get nit-picky with historical and cultural accuracy then they may turn their attention to Emily in Paris — a show that did in fact receive Golden Globe nominations despite glaring disparities in its depiction of Paris and French culture. 

We’re not here to place shame on another binge-worthy escape from reality, we’re just trying to give Bridgerton the justice it deserves. 

Unsplash/ Pro Church Media

On another note, surrounding Bridgerton’s sense of regency reality, a quote from Refinery29’s Ariana Romero sums it up perfectly. Bridgerton serves as a, “Purposefully racially integrated Regency era London.” We realize it’s 2021 and time machines haven’t been invented yet (or have they?), but that shouldn’t stop us from wanting to revisit the past and reimagine what it would be like through a whole new lens. Isn’t that the best part of a project, actually creating? In this case, hats off to creator Shonda Rhimes for proving that Bridgerton is a show about women made by women, and that deserves praise and recognition in any capacity. 

So, to answer the question was Bridgerton truly snubbed at the Golden Globes, it most certainly was and is now fueling the hashtag #GoldenGlobesSoWhite. Is there a takeback rule the Hollywood Foreign Press can utilize? 

Our only hope now is that Bridgerton can snag other nominations for the rest of awards season (to which there’s already been some Emmy buzz). Until then we will sulk in the realization that the Netflix platform received 42 nominations when it should have been 43.

netflix in dark
Photo by Thibault Penin on Unsplash

Kaitlyn Bancroft is a junior at Hofstra University in New York, following her passion to become a journalist. She enjoys eating chipotle and binge-watching as she procrastinates on assignments.