Warning: What Happens When you Travel for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

My dream is to travel the world. I have an entire list of places to go and things to do, but once you start, the addiction gets worse.

I’ve been to a good amount of tropical places: Hawaii, Aruba, The Cayman Islands, etc. But my appreciation for travel has grown, and I want to explore more of the cultures that surround me.

That even included the states that I haven’t been to yet. I’ve only been to a handful out of fifty. There’s much more to be explored. One day I’m going to get all fifty. But then I made the best decision of my life and chose to study abroad in London. I visited cities around England: Bath, Oxford, Wiltshire(for Stonehenge) and East Moseley, Surrey (for Hampton Court Palace). And then I took a trip outside of the country to visit Dublin, Ireland. To visit cities that contained such beauty and history led to the cruel reality that I had to leave the places I fell in love with.

Another great feeling I discovered while traveling was getting your passport stamped. I know traveling doesn’t always require a passport, but when it does, that stamp makes it feel as if I’ve accomplished something. I feel excited and antsy to continue my journey.

I also collect postcards everywhere I go. It’s a sense of accomplishment, proof that I’ve been to the place. It’s a hobby I’m probably going to stick with, thus causing more stir in my addiction to traveling.

So FYI, you’re going to travel and fall in love with the place. And once you do, you’re going to think if more places to travel and you’re list is going to get bigger and bigger. But you’re going to want to go more frequently, and are going to try to find more time and want to make spring break and winter break plans. If you can afford it, good for you! If not, good luck, because that’s currently my biggest struggle. So here’s a warning: you’re going to love to travel. You’re going to become addicted…but I never said that was a bad thing.  

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.