Style

Victoria’s Secret is OUT, Savage X Fenty is in.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We can all agree that Rihanna is literally the one of the supremes when it comes to not just music, but pop culture and fashion. Just this year, the “Umbrella” singer has made strides within the world of fashion with the launch of her Fenty high fashion brand under LVMH, and in May 2018 with the launch of her all-inclusive, all-sizes, savagely sensual and creative Savage X Fenty lingerie line. The first Savage X Fenty fashion show in September 2018 had, arguably, one of the most diverse and inclusive model casting the world has ever seen. The lineup had women from all walks of life, including pregnant women! One of the two pregnant models, Slick Woods, literally gave birth as soon as she walked off the runway!

On September 20th, 2019, Amazon Prime dropped the 42 minute part-documentary, part-fashion show Savage X Fenty special from this year’s show which already garnered a lot of buzz on social media. Little Instagram story snippets were posted of Rihanna dancing to a bombastic industrial remix of “Woo” off her last album, ANTI. Twitter exploded. 

Among the star studded cast were lovely Bella and Gigi Hadid, Cara Delevingne, Alek Wek, Joan Smalls, plus-sized blogger and singer Margie Plus, and transgender model-actresses Laverne Cox and Isis King. The show ran seamlessly with electrifying performances by Halsey, Tierra Whack, Big Sean, A$AP Ferg, Migos, and rising pop-R&B singer and dancer Normani, whose bra and panties set almost immediately sold out following her performance.

The show also featured a sensual dance break, led by Cara Delevingne with dancers all identically dressed in gorgeous bright green bralette sets to the classic R&B throwback “Oops (Oh My!)” by the Southern hummingbird, Tweet. The performance was lauded by fans, complimenting Rihanna’s choice in music for the show.

The roof-raising, barrier-breaking fashion show happened in the aftermath of the cancellation of Victoria’s Secret annual New York Fashion Week runway show, and social media users, as well as magazine headlines, were quick to point out the faults within the VS fashion show formula concerning the misogynistic acts of the C.E.O. and lack of diversity and inclusivity.

Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty lingerie line has truly redefined what it means to be a human being, and that sentiment can easily be seen throughout the entire special. The event has clearly resonated with the audience and fans alike. After all, they did tell you she was a savage

The special is now available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Tariq AlObaid is an international sophomore student at Hofstra University, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Design. Aside from writing, he has a side gig as a visual artist and an affinity for concerts. Find him on Instagram @talobaid.