Valentine’s Day On A Budget: 4 Ways To Save Money With Your S.O.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we’re sure your thoughts are filled with chocolate, flowers, adorable gifts, and a super romantic and fancy date. But what about those next few thoughts all concerned with how you’ll be able to afford to splurge on V-Day with your S.O.? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with four simple and easy ways for you and your S.O. to keep your college-student budgets on track this Valentine’s Day.

Image Courtesy of Element5 Digital

Make gifts for each other 

Nothing says “I love you” (or “I really like you”) more than a thoughtful, handmade gift. Tap into your creative and artsy side and think of some things that can convey how you feel for your bae without breaking the bank. Here are a couple of ideas to get the ball rolling:

• Print out a bunch of photos of the two of you and make a collage.

• Similarly, download a video editing app, like iMovie, and create a little video montage of your favorite times together so far.
  • Go on Pinterest and learn how to make paper flowers— they’ll be cute, and they’ll last forever!
  • Write them a poem or print one out and decorate it. 

Image Courtesy of Miroslava

Dine in rather than going out

Even though it’s fun to dress up and go out to a fancy restaurant, it can be just as fun to dress up and stay in for the night. Find some simple recipes that you can make at home or in your dorm kitchen and spend the night cooking together! Here are a few ideas for what you can make:

• Spaghetti (live out that Lady and the Tramp moment, girl)

• Homemade pizza
  • Chocolate covered strawberries
  • Cake

Image Courtesy of Natalia Fogarty

Give your room a nice ambiance with cheap decorations

Everyone loves to visit the bargain section at Target, but now you might have a real excuse to buy something! Target is selling some super cute and glittery banners that spell out “LOVE” for $3, and they have sets of two tea light candles for only $1! You can also find string lights for under $5, which will add to the atmosphere perfectly.

Image Courtesy of freestocks.org

Spend the day together

You don’t have to go all out for Valentine’s Day. Sometimes it’s great to just spend your time together. Plan the day out and choose to do something cute like going for a walk around town, or grabbing a coffee from Starbucks, and then having a movie night just for the two of you.

Image Courtesy of Matt Nelson

So, there you have it— four ways to save money during Valentine’s Day! We hope this gave you some ideas and inspired you while also keeping your budget and your bank account intact. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Emily Duffy

Hofstra '21

Emily Duffy is a sophomore English major with a concentration in Publishing at Hofstra University. She aspires to one day be a developmental editor for future New York Times bestselling Young Adult novels. When she is not studying or writing, you can usually find her reading, obsessing over Taylor Swift, or rewatching Gilmore Girls for the millionth time.