This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

‘Tis the season to be jolly, everyone! Holidays like Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza aren’t complete unless your sitting in a cozy chair and turning on Netflix or Hulu for holiday movies. If you ever get bored of watching the same Home Alone, or you’re achingly tired of listening to Anna sing about a snowman from Frozen, you’ve come to the right place.

1. Hitched for the Holidays

Joey Lawrence and Emily Hampshire’s characters meet on a dating website and pretend to be each other’s beloved in order to please their families. As they both spend more time together they begin to fall in love. This 2012 Hallmark movie is a rom-com blended with a little bit of Christmas and Hanukkah. More holidays mentioned equals more holiday spirit!

2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Unlike the new remake, the 2006 movie was a classic children’s movie made into a live action. Although it didn’t make good reviews this movie is great if you’re interested in feeling the childhood nostalgia of the 2000s. This movie plot follows the Grinch as he attempts to take Christmas away for the town and the citizens of Whoville with his favorite and lovable sidekick dog, Max.

3. The Polar Express

This movie is based on its children book and was directed by the director of Forrest Gump. Following a bitter young boy, he has doubts about Santa Claus and takes a mysterious train called the Polar Express. Let’s not also forget the famous scene and song involving hot chocolate. This 2004 animation movie contains the element of music and inspires the young generation for adventure. 

4. The Holiday

Kate Winslet stars in the 2006 movie The Holiday. Heartbroken and needing a vacation both Cameron Diaz’s character and Kate Winslet’s character decide to switch houses for the holidays. There, in completely different environments, they each meet the town locals and end up attracting the attention of the men they’ll fall in love with.

Get your popcorn ready and give some of these movies a watch. There’s nothing like a good holiday movie to get you into the holiday spirit!

Ashley is a Senior at Hofstra University studying Journalism with a minor in Publishing Studies. She hopes to pursue her dreams of becoming a Book Editor at one of the Big Five (soon to be four). Her hobbies include swimming, reading, writing, binge-watching and listening to music. Ashley is now focusing on her degree to graduate in the spring of 2022 and looking for jobs or internships for the summer.