This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s finally December, when the lights fill the streets, the smell of hot chocolate fills the air, and Christmas trees are for sale on every corner. These are the things that get us into the spirit of Christmas. Music adds to the atmosphere. Here’s your ultimate playlist, to get you in the Christmas spirit. 

Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms

You might think of this one as the Christmas song from Mean Girls, when Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams perform their Santa routine, but this song is a classic! This song is fun and upbeat, and will surely get you  and your friends in the holiday spirit. 

The Greatest Time of Year by Aly & AJ

Who remembers this iconic sister duo? I know I do. This song isn’t as popular as some of the other songs on this list, but it’s still very catchy. Most of us remember Aly & AJ from their Disney Channel days, or for their Potential Break Up Song. Even though we’re college kids now, it’s fun to listen to this song and remember listening to Aly & AJ as kids. 

My Only Wish (This Year) by Britney Spears 

It’s Britney *insert choice word*. This romantic song is about hoping for true love for Christmas. While no one needs a S.O. for the holidays, I think a lot of us can relate to wanting to spend the holidays with someone special. 

Underneath the Tree by Kelly Christmas

This is such a sweet song! Christmas isn’t just about getting and giving material items, even though that’s a nice part of the holidays. This Kelly classic reminds us that Christmas is a time for being with the people we love and appreciating each other’s presence, not just the presents. 

All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey

What’s a Christmas playlist without this song? As the holiday approach, this is my go-to song and I think it always will be. Similar to some of the other songs on this playlist, this Mariah Carey song (if you don’t already know) focuses on the importance of spending time with the people you love rather than worrying about material objects and gifts. Despite this song’s major popularity, I’ll never get tired of hearing it. 

Overall, Christmas is about enjoying your time with the people you love. So in your rush to finish Christmas shopping and the stress of making Christmas dinner, take a second to step and remember what the holidays are meant for. If you need a little help, these songs will remind you to appreciate your time with the ones you love. 

Marisa is a senior English major at Hofstra University. She loves dancing, writing, and helping others.