Tune-In Tuesday: Zumba Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We are back and starting a new semester! It’s time to get back into routine. What does the routine mean? Waking up, getting dressed, putting on a pair of jeans (or realistically, yoga pants) and going to class?

For me, my routine includes Zumba every Wednesday. Part of the reason I stick to Zumba is for the music. Zumba’s music is a combination of today’s upbeat pop songs to Latin fast-tempo hits to a powerful yet slow cool down. In case you’re looking for some change to your general genre, or looking to step up your crazy Latin dance moves, here are some songs you can put on your playlist!

1) I Want To Dance With Somebody Remix: This classic take on Whitney Houston’s hit song really helps to get your blood flowing in a warm up. Just enough to not break a sweat yet but get you huffing and puffing until the real workout begins.

2) Dare (La La La): Shakira’s 2014 song is not only the main song to the show Mistresses, but also really creates a workout vibe. The routine to this song includes air jump rope, arm waving and squats, so you can definitely feel the burn!

3) Anything Pitbull: Let’s be real, Pitbull is a popular artist of both the American and the Latin culture. Every time a new Pitbull song is put out either in English, Spanish, or a combination of both, he gets added into a Zumba workout. All his songs are definitely fun and playful, so you can definitely shake your hips to one of his songs!

4) Show Stopper: This is a song created by a duo named Brandon and Leah. It’s the song danced to right before the stretching; the cool down. It’s a sassy “show stopping” performance that let’s you shake around your muscles while getting low and getting cooled off. Always make sure to add some flare to your poses!

5) Xo by Beyonce or Centuries by Fall Out Boy: Either song works well enough to just stretch. Both are slow enough but have end choruses that are powerful enough to finish out your shoulder rolls and take deep breaths. Then you finish off by giving yourself a round of applause for a good workout.

Enjoy your Zumba, and don’t forget to breathe (a big help to your daily routine as well! )

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!