Tune-In Tuesday: Throwback Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
I love my throwbacks. I’ll put on Pandora’s Pop 2k and listen to it for hours on end doing homework, cleaning or taking a shower. One of my favorite throwback artists of all time is Uncle Kracker (he’s a throwback, right?). He has produced three of my favorite songs of all time; Smile, Drift Away and Follow Me.  Both of these songs never get old for me. Smile is such a cute and happy song about loving someone who just makes you happy…or smile. 
In a song full of clichés, they are put together to make a unique song. How many songs just flat out say, “Hey, you’re great” without the poetic descriptions? Not many, and I love that about this song.

Drift Away gives you that vacation vibe. The music makes you feel like you’re in a tropical paradise. Just listen to the lyrics and close your eyes. This one helps me relax from anything stressing me out (mostly school work). It’s my way out, without really leaving.As for Follow Me, this song is completely opposite from Smile, but it’s so catchy. Basically, Uncle Kracker is telling this girl to go with him, and cheat on her guy with him. “You’re feeling guilty, and I’m well aware. But you don’t look ashamed and baby I’m not scared.” Totally going against what I believe in but the song works. It has that same laid back vibe that Drift Away has, and even the same tone that Smile has. I wouldn’t listen to this song seeking an important message, but I’d listen to it for a sing-a-long. 
I’d call these songs a bit more country I think. Even though it’s on the brink of country, it really helps me take a liking to the genre. Whatever this may be, I definitely would listen to more Uncle Kracker, more country and more songs that just make you smile like the sun. Maybe Uncle Kracker will make a comeback, my fingers are crossed.
Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.