This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

This week I’m throwing it back the 2000s (and in my opinion, the 2000s started such a great decade for music). This song was released in the year 2000 by the American rock band called “3-Doors Down,” off the album “The Better Life.” This song, in my opinion one of those songs that will never get old, is called “Kryptonite.”

Kryptonite is edgy. The music, the lyrics (which are some of my favorite), they’re just all edgy. This song makes you want to head bang and flip your hair (or no hair, whichever!) as well as will make you want to sing along. You will definitely be able to tell that this is a rock-vibe song with the many great guitar solos and the heavy drums.

I also appreciate that the title of the song doesn’t come into play until a long first verse. It has this initial build up that isn’t too predictable. But then when it does, the lyrics form so nicely. It relates to superman (great super hero, by the way) because Kryptonite was Superman’s weakness, they even mention him in the song. The sum of this song is that whoever the band it talking about is their kryptonite, their weakness. However, they want this person there with them holding their hand along the way. The Lois Lane of the real world, it’s about love.

I’m not saying this is a love song, because we all think of love songs as “mushy, gushy, slow and romantic,” but that’s not what it is. 3 Doors Down has a great meaning without bluntly saying words such as “love.” Kryptonite acts like a symbol, which I personally think is genius. 

Not only do I blast this song on repeat, I really appreciate the lyrics and the meaning behind it, which is why I threw this back for you today. I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do, and if you haven’t heard of it, I highly recommend!

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!