Tune-In Tuesday: Imagine Dragons “Smoke and Mirrors”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Imagine Dragons released their second album titled “Smoke and Mirrors” on Feb. 17, 2015. Being a little biased (given that they are one of my favorite bands), I think this album is pretty awesome. However, I would understand if some people needed a second, or even a third listen to really appreciate and enjoy this music. This album is a bit more on the alternative rock side, so very “strong” and “intense.”  

The first single to be released from the album was “I Bet My Life.” I’m sure you’ve heard it on car commercials or award shows. It’s one of the more upbeat and faster-tempo songs on the album. Other people said they had to grow on the song, but eventually warmed up to it. Who knows, maybe you’ll like it on the first go!

Other favorite songs on this album include “Friction” and “Warriors.” “Friction” almost sounds it could be in a category with indie rock. Generally, all these songs are pretty “raw,” meaning it has a lot of emotion in each track and the intensity in each is high, powerful, and has an all-around strong beat.

Some of these hits could be “Top 40” material on the radio, but this album is definitely not one to be noticed too much by the pop culture.

Try it out, give the full album a listen on YouTube

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!