Tuesday Ten: Chick Flicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and it’s typically all about the romance. However, if you don’t have a date for the mushy holiday, why not plan a girl’s-night-in? Pass around a box of chocolates, make popcorn, and have a chick flick movie marathon. Here’s a list of ten great chick flicks that’ll be sure to make you and your friends laugh, cry, and have a fun night!

1. Mean Girls

This star-studded cast created one of the most-quoted movies of all time. While you’ve probably seen it more times than you can count on your fingers, pop it in with your girls and laugh along at this film that seemingly defines all of the stereotypes of our generation.

1. Dirty Dancing

This movie has got to be one of my all time favorites. The 80’s classic has everything necessary for a good chick flick- romance, drama, dancing, and a very attractive leading actor.

1. The Notebook

I dare you to try and get through this movie without shedding a tear. Nicholas Sparks has a way of creating story lines specifically catered toward tugging at our heartstrings. Plus, Ryan Gosling? Come on, that’s reason enough to watch The Notebook.

1. Bridesmaids

Chick flicks don’t have to be all sappy and romantic! Bridesmaids is a hilarious comedy, guaranteed to have you in stitches. With a cast of strong and hilarious actresses, you can’t help but laugh at this ridiculous movie.

1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s

A classic girlie movie, Audrey Hepburn plays the part of Holly Golightly wonderfully. Gawk at her adorable style with your friends in this old-fashioned classic.

1. Clueless

Clueless is one of the most quintessential 90’s movies that you can find. Loosely based on Jane Austen’s novel, Emma, the main character played by Alicia Silverstone embodies a teenage girl in the 90’s. Shallow? As if!

1. Easy A

This is another story based on a classic novel, The Scarlet Letter. Emma Stone plays a risk-taking girl who isn’t afraid to make a point, even if it means being cast as a hussy. This girl-power movie is absolutely perfect for a girls-night-in.

1. 500 Days of Summer

Everyone adores a good love story, but what about an un-love story? While this movie is quirky and romantic, it doesn’t have the happily-ever-after that you’d expect.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You

This is another great high-school film from the 90s with a predictable ending, yet still a classic film. You probably watched it growing up, and it’s never a bad thing to revisit those movies that you used to love! (Also, sometimes it’s just fun to laugh at the bad nineties fashion.)

1.  The Devil Wears Prada

Anne Hathaway AND Meryl Streep in one movie? Count me in.

Are we missing one of your favorite chick flicks? Tweet us @HCHofstra!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!