Transitioning Your Closet From Winter to Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

This winter has seemingly been dragging on for longer than usual, although springtime is slowly creeping up on us! The overall goal to set during the transition between winter and spring is to make a statement to your fellow classmates that as Elsa once said, “The cold never bothered me anyway!”

Out with the Old, In with the New

The first step in any renovation is to clear out the old! We all have those articles of clothing that we have nostalgic attachment to but never wear, but ladies it is time to pack those up and make room in your already-jam-packed dorm closet. Remember you are not separating from these items for life; it’s ok to set them aside for the main stage of your closet.

Thrift Swap

Don’t bother working overtime or embarrassingly asking your parents that you need money in order to supplement the style trends of the spring. If you can take time out of your day go to Plato’s Closet or visit Vinted.com and Poshmark.com with those cute pieces of clothing that you hardly wear, and sell them while using that money to buy new statement pieces.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

First grade teachers taught us the best motto, which is also applicable to our wardrobe. You may have thought of your summer and winter clothes as Romeo and Juliet but I promise you they CAN be happy together!

Examples include:

·      High waisted jeans, a crop top and a cardigan

·      Boots, a flirty skirt and your favorite sweater

·      A romper, blazer and heels to show off the progress of leg day

Brighten Up!

You’ve been waiting for this warm weather for way too long so you might as well express your gratitude to Mother Nature for finally doing you a favor. Black and white may have been the designated comfort for color in the winter but now is the time to outwardly appreciate the impending end of the semester in pastels, neon’s and prints.

Express Confidence

There’s no point in having this great new wardrobe if you aren’t planning on strutting through your day like you just won an Emmy, Oscar, VMA or all three. Wear these outfits with confidence and you will set trends for everyone around you, even if you’re recycling fashion ideas. Overall, own the runway like a Victoria Secret’s model!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!