This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As a tribute to the recently departed Ruth Bader Ginsburg we at Her Campus Hofstra compiled a list of nine of our favorite RBG moments over the years to commemorate her memory and all she has done for U.S. citizens, especially in terms of human rights. To start, let’s not forget her iconic quote, “When I’m sometimes asked ‘When will there be enough [women on the Supreme Court?]’ and my answer is: ‘When there are nine.’ People are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that.”

RBG at Hofstra

RBG taught alongside her close friend Leon Friedman who was a Hofstra Law School professor for three weeks in the summer of 2007 abroad in Sorrento, Italy. RBG also lectured at Hofstra’s Conference on Legal Ethics in 1996 through her friendship with Justice Scalia. Justice Ginsburg teaching at Hofstra is our number one moment because she brought so much inspiration to so many people including many students here at Hofstra University.

She launched the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Women’s rights project

The ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project was founded by Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 1972 while she was a professor of law at Rutger’s University in New Jersey.  This project tackled systematic legal reform and began with Reed v. Reed which was the first time a law was deemed unconstituional based on disrimination based on gender in the Supreme Court.  

Showed us her workouts on Stephen Colbert’s Late Show

In her appearance on “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert, RBG gave us a glimpse at her workouts showing us how she stays so strong mentally and physically. RBG’s sense of humor is part of the reason she was so loved and admired because even in her 80’s she was still joking around on talk shows.

She was the first justice from the U.S. Supreme Court to officiate a same-sex marriage ceremony

Justice Ginsburg was a progressive her entire life. She kept up with the times and evolved withe time instead of being stuck in the past which is part of what made her such a well-loved political figure.

She became the second woman to ever serve in the Supreme court out of the 212 years it has existed

Justice Ginsburg was the only woman on a panel of nine other men while serving on the Supreme Court. Needless to say, she was the odd one out. However, she was not afraid to dissent and disagree with the majority which is what made her so inspirational to so many.

Her cameo in the biopic movie about her and how she started the process of overturning laws that were discriminatory on the basis of sex

In the 2018 movie “On the Basis of Sex”, starring Felicity Jones and Armie Hammer, the notorious RBG makes her own cameo in the last scene in this movie about her young life prior to becoming a Supreme Court Justice.  This movie shows a young Ginsburg’s struggle to begin the long process of overturning the discriminatory laws that still existed in our country  that she devoted her life to.

She was named one of Forbes’ 100 most powerful women from 2004-2011

This award she received for seven years consecutively shows how influential Justice Ginsburg was for many generations of women and men across the country. She accomplished so much in her life and dedicated her life to serving to public and seeking justice.

On October 5, 2002 she was sworn into the National Women’s hall of fame

This is an honor that is well deserved with her accomplishments and hard work that she put into making a path for women in society. It’s no surprise that she received this award.

1st women to be hired with tenure at Columbia University’s school of Law

Even before Justice Ginsburg served on the sumpreme court she was pushing boundaries and making history.

These are only the top nine memories of RBG that stood out to us here at Her Campus Hofstra but there are so many incredible things Justice Ginsburg accomplished in her long life.  Justice Ginsburg was such an influential political figure as well as inspirational powerhouse. Justice Ginsburg led an inpirational life and set an example to young people all across the country to push boundaries, break the rules and make history.  RBG was not afraid to push the boundaries and do what many others were too afraid to; she did not shy away from the daunting tasks and that is an example we at Her Campus Hofstra look up to and try to live by.

Lilly Mullaney