Top 5 Inspiring Quotes from “The Alchemist”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

At the surface, Paulo Coelho’s book “The Alchemist” is about a young shepard named Santiago who departs on a journey to fulfill his dream of seeing the Pyramids. But really this book is about much more. The story attempts to tell the reader that they should follow their heart in pursuit of their own ‘Personal Legend’ like the young boy. The following is a list of quotes from the novel that will give you a taste of this philosophical book that is both touching and encouraging.

“People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”

Towards the beginning of the book, the boy has an important conversation with an old man (the king). While speaking, the king points to a baker as an example of someone who got too comfortable in their stable routine and never fulfilled their dreams of travel. The baker forgot that he was capable of achieving something he had always desired.

“When you really want something, the universe always conspires in your favor.”

This quote is echoed several times in the book by both the king and the alchemist. Throughout the book, the young boy follows omens and learns to understand that when he truly wants something and seeks to fulfill his Personal Legend, the universe will help him to achieve his goal.

“Love never keeps a man from pursuing his Personal Legend. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love.”

This quote is said to the boy by the alchemist. Just as they decide to leave the oasis and set out for the Pyramids, the boy becomes hesitant as he is leaving the girl he had just met, Fatima. The alchemist warns the boy that love is not something that should hold a person back from achieving their goals. If anything, true love should only push you to become a better person and accomplish everything you dream of.

“Listen to your heart. It knows all things.”

The alchemist says this to the boy when faced with a life or death situation that he is not sure how to navigate. This quote encapsulates the true sentiment in this book. Trusting your intuition and following your heart are the most important things you can do in life. The book emphasizes that the will of your heart and the will of the universe are one; therefore, your heart’s desires will be aligned with the world’s.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”

In the same way, the alchemist also said to the boy, “People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them.” In order to comfort the boy and calm his worries, the alchemist said, “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.”

“The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho is available for purchase here.

Sophia is a Junior Journalism Major at Hofstra University. She is originally from New Jersey and loves to travel, read, and watch British reality TV shows.