The Top 11 (and Safest) Things To Do In NYC This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The holiday season in New York City are always known to be a magical experience. This year will prove no exception, although many of the usual attractions will be held in new forms. There’s still plenty to do and see while also following COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions in order to remain safe. 

New York Botanical Garden Train Show + Glow 

Holiday Train Show: November 12, 2020-January 31, 2021

The constructed models and sets will run on time as usual, but access will be limited to garden members- a great reason to sign up and support the NYBG

NYBG Glow: November 27, 2020-January 9, 2021

Unlike the train show, this garden event is open to anyone who buys a separate reserved ticket and offers room to socially distance. At this event you can see lights and installations around the grounds and see ice sculptures, roving dance performances and enjoy music at the Enid Haupt Consveratory. 

Grand Central Holiday Fair (Virtual) 

November 16-December 24

Pick the perfect gifts for your family and friends while also staying safe! This year, the shopping experience will be virtual, but most of the shops in the rail station are still open for in-person business. 

Holiday Lights at Bronx Zoo

November 20, 2020-January 10, 2021

Go on “lantern safaris” throughout the grounds, including seeing illuminated creatures of the sea and mammals worldwide. The five attractions are spread out evenly the across the park in order to maintain social distance.  (Disclaimer: real animals are not used for these light displays.)

Rink at Rockefeller Center

November 21, 2020-January 17, 2021

The City’s most famous skaring rink will only be open for a limited time this year (the early closing is due to a renovation of the plaza). Make sure to reserve tickets ahead of time, as there will be restrictions on the number of skaters. 

Holidays at Hudson Yards

November 22-December 31

The westside neighborhood will have festive goings-on throughout the season: holiday decorations all around; music and cookie decorating in the Shops and Restaurants; and artistically painted pianos in the Shops, courtesy of Sing for Hope. Following the use of the pianos’ here, the arts organization will deliver the instruments to local schools and hospitals.

Thanksgiving Day Parade (Virtual) 

November 26:

Rather than starting up at Central Park West and proceeding down to West 34th Street, the activities will take place in and around Herald Square over two days—without crowds—and be broadcast on television the holiday morning. You’ll watch the giant balloons, performances and floats from home. 

LuminoCity at Randall’s Island 

November 27, 2020- January 10, 2021

LuminoCity Festival features all new light art installations spanning several acres! This festival of lights debuted last year and was a huge success; it’s back with its interactive experiences, sparkling illuminations and assorted food vendors. Each of the three parks illuminates the night with beautiful sculptures inspired by nature, history and of course, magic!

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree 

December 2-TBD:

The lighting ceremony, which traditionally brings big crowds, will not have spectators this time around. But the tree will arrive Rock Center on November 14, put on its decorations soon after and be lit on December 2—and you’ll have the chance in the weeks after to see it, socially distanced, for yourself. Check rockefellercenter.com for details, which are still forthcoming.

Lighting of the Giant Menorah 

December 10-17

According to the Chadbad Park Slope website, the nightly lighting at the Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn beginning at 5pm the first night will still occur, with socially distant celebration. 

Celebrate Kwanzaa at Brooklyn’s Children Museum 

December 26-30

Join Brooklyn Children’s Museum and Brooklyn-based Asase Yaa Cultural Arts Foundation as they mark their 13th annual Kwanzaa celebration together at the largest family Kwanzaa event in New York City! The five days are filled with programs highlighting the culture, art, dancing and music of the African-American holiday. You can also explore Kwanzaa’s seven principles and learn about the history and signifance of the holiday. 

Check out the BCM’s Instagram for more updates on the event! 

*bonus* Times Square Ball Drop (Virtual)

December 31

Every year as the clock nears midnight on Decemver 31, the eyes of the world turn once more to the dazzling lights and bustling energy of Times Square. The New Year’s Eve Ball Drop in New York City has become more than just a celebration- it’s a global tradition. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, the annual ball drop for 2021 will be off limits to the open public. There will be live performances so, feel free to tune in and join virtually from the comforts of your own home! 

Savanna Perry

Hofstra '24

Savanna is a freshman Journalism major at Hofstra. She loves to drink coffee along with editing vlogs on the side!