timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 10 Movies to See This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

*Feature image courtesy of Aaron via Flickr creative commons.

One of the best parts of summer vacation, besides the fact that there is no school, is all of the upcoming movies being released. Whether going to a theatre or lounging at the drive-in, here is my list of the top 10 movies to look forward to this summer.

1. Snatched

Release date: May 12th

Starring Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn, Schumer plays a woman who gets dumped by her boyfriend right before their romantic getaway. Having no one to go with, she persuades her over-cautious mother (Goldie Hawn) to go on the trip where they end up having one wild adventure.

Image via @snatchedmovie

2. Everything, Everything  

Release date: May 19th

18-year-old Maddy, played by Amandla Stenberg (from “The Hunger Games”), has an illness that prevents her from leaving the sterile environment of her home. When a boy named Olly, played by Nick Robinson, moves in next door, the two form a connection through text messages and speaking through their windows. But as their relationship grows, so does the chances they are willing to take to be with one another.

Image via @everythingeverythingfilm

3. Baywatch

Release date: May 25th

Starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Zac Efron, Efron plays the new lifeguard recruit that The Rock must train, but as the two discover a criminal plot that threatens the bay they watch over, the two will doing everything they can to protect it.

Image via @baywatchmovie

4. Wonder Woman

Release date: June 2nd

Princess Diana of the Amazons, played by Gal Gadot, is trained to be an unstoppable warrior on a sheltered island. When a pilot, played by Chris Pine, crashes on the island, he tells Diana of the war that is going outside of her secluded world. Believing that she can stop it, she leaves her home and discovers how far her capabilities truly go, as well as becoming Wonder Woman.

Image via @wonderwomanfilm

5. It Comes at Night

Release date: June 9th

An unnatural threat is terrorizing the world, but one family is safe and secure in their home. Having no clue what is going on in the outside world, the family’s trust is put to test when another family comes seeking refuge. This psychological, horror movie stars Joel Edgerton, Riley Keough, and Christopher Abbott.

Image via @itcomesatnight

6. The House

Release date: June 30th

Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler star in this comedy as parents who lose their daughter’s college fund and decide to start an illegal underground casino in the basement of their home to get the cash fast.

Image via @thehousemovie

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming

Release date: July 7th

With newfound mentor Tony Stark, Peter Parker returns to his normal routine, while finally accepting his identity as “Spider-Man.”  But, when a new enemy threatens to destroy everything he loves, Parker must put aside his fears and fight to save his loved ones. Featuring Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr., and Zendaya.

Image via @spidermanmovie

8. Dunkirk

Release date: July 21st

Trading singing for acting, Harry Styles makes his acting debut as a trapped soldier on the beaches of Dunkirk, France. The date is May 1940, and Germany has trapped Allied troops all throughout the beaches of Dunkirk. This story, inspired by true events, shows the methodic ways that 330,000 troops were safely evacuated. Starring: Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, and many more.

Image via @dunkirkmovie

9. Annabelle: Creation

Release date: August 11th

A nun and several girls from a closed-down orphanage are welcomed into the home of a dollmaker and his wife’s home. What the group doesn’t know though, is that they are the next target of the possessed doll that lives there. Starring: Miranda Otto, Talitha Bateman, Stephanie Sigman, and Anthony LaPaglia.

Image via @annabellemovie

10. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Release date: September 29th

And last, but not least, when the headquarters of the Kingsman is destroyed, they travel to the United States where they team up with the American version of the Kingsman known as the “Statesman.” Though this does not come out until closer to the fall, we can look forward to seeing new characters played by Channing Tatum, Halle Berry, and Jeff Bridges.

Image via @kingsmanmovie

Those are the top 10 movies to expect this summer, so watch out for these dates as these movies will be in theatres soon!

Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.