andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on Running Into your Ex During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Coming home during winter break from college and running into your ex is never shy of anxiety or headaches. You play the scenario in your head on the train or plane ride home and plan the perfect things to say if you do run into them and think of the cutest outfit; but what we can’t prepare for is how we’ll actually react. Here are some tips to make sure your homecoming is as merry and bright and stress-free as it should be.

Realize you’re probably going to run into them. Especially living in a small town, you’re bound to collide while leaving Starbucks or pull up next to them at a red light. If this happens, find your chill and don’t let it look like you’ve been completely floored by this random reunion (even if you might be).

Don’t force anything just because we’re among cuffing season. It’s regressive to pursue a relationship again just because of the weather. Make your mind up on your intentions with them and stay true to it.

If things get uncomfortable, it’s ok to leave. There’s no need to even make an excuse.

Don’t rehack what went wrong. There’s a reason you broke up, let bygones be bygones (thanks to Childish Gambino for this one).

If you’re in a new relationship, you may want to tell your new SO. Because we all know we’d be butthurt if we found out from Twitter or a mutual friend that he ran into his ex and he didn’t tell you.

Don’t stress yourself out about seeing them. It’s a small world, but looking over your shoulder constantly or casually driving past his street to see if he’s there is only going to make you an anxious, hot mess. Channel your inner Buddha and let whatever happens happen.

Having a Nicholas Sparks moment can happen to. Who knows, you may see each other by chance of serendipity and get back together. It may not be in the pouring rain or in a canoe, but if something similar happens, let Warner Books know so Nicky can get a head start.

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.