This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Name: Tiffany Vellis

Class: Junior 

Major: Journalism  

Hometown: Wallington, New Jersey 

What was the main factor that drew you to Hofstra?: The communications department, and WRHU.

Tell us about your involvement with WRHU: I joined the station in the fall semester of my freshman year, and have pretty much been full force since that spring semester. I have done some Morning Show, as well as news, but my first love and priority has been the sports department. I’ve done everything from updates to play-by-play for the CAA Championship softball team during their NCAA Regional run, which was one of the most fun experiences I think a college student pursuing this career can dream of. I also became the Station Production Manager last semester, which ultimately got me this summer’s internship at Z100.  

What is it like being in a male dominated environment: Well everyday I see and hear more talented women in this industry, so that definitely gives me that extra boost through those few people who still think women aren’t equals when it comes to playing or talking sports, but in all honesty, I tell the guys at WRHU all the time, at the end of the day I don’t want to get the big play-by-play because I’m a woman, I want it because I’ve earned it. Male, female, giraffe, whatever, I’m going to work just as hard to be better than you.

For other girls looking to get involved with sportscasting, what’s your advice?: My parents have always told me to stay humble and let actions speak louder than words. So that’s it. Oh and seriously, you have to believe in yourself because you’re the only person that can stop you from accomplishing something.

What was it like interning with Z100: Interning at Z100 this summer was entirely out of my comfort zone. I was commuting into the city at 6 in the morning, working as a production intern for an entertainment-based morning show….Not exactly what I plan to do with my life, but I don’t regret the experience for a second. I learned so much about, essentially, an entirely different business, and I learned a lot about myself in terms of what I do and do not see myself doing down the road. Plus, the Elvis Duran crew consists of some of the most genuine and hysterical people I’ve ever met.

Where do you hope to be in 10 years?: ESPN, of course. But really, I just hope to be settled into an on-air sportscasting job in one of the major markets around the country. Whether that be on some morning sports talk show, reporting from the New York Giants sideline or anchoring an NCAA related sportscast, I have no idea, but that’s the incredible thing about this industry, you never know where you’ll be any sum years down the road so there is always opportunity to move on, and hopefully forward, in whichever direction you choose.

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.